Saturday, September 1, 2012

the bow and the pony

Spent the day at Hunter's Moon, an SCA event down in Albany. I achieved my highest score ever during Royal Rounds, and got a bullseye at 40 yards with my new bow! It's the one in the picture, a ffity-pound draw recurve that belonged to Joseph the Bold before me. He hand-sewed the leather grip and decorated it with braided sinew and leather. He seemed torn selling it, said it was a great hunting bow (which is what I plan on doing with it) and many a squirrel saw their demise from it. Joseph always wears a kilt with a sporan decorated with images of Epona and braided horse hair. What is it about archers and horses, I wonder?

Well, anyway. I like the company I keep these days.

I am a bit sore from all the shooting but pleased with the higher scores and having only 4 of 50 arrows I shot miss the foam targets. This is progress. And any day you spend out in the sunshine on green grass with friends is a gift. I certainly appreciated it, and the simple joy of hitting the yellow from nearly half a football field away in a kilt! Word is I may become a Marshal in the Society one day, and might be nominated to become an MIT (Marshall in Training). I hope I am. This is the summer of the bow and the pony.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Awesome! Sounds like a fun day and quite an accomplishment!

September 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM  
Blogger David Shearer said...

Liking the company you keep says a lot about the path your life has taken this past year. Best wishes from the Shearer's at FPL Ranch in CA.

September 1, 2012 at 9:04 PM  
Blogger Lissa B. said...

Congratulations Jenna! Sounds like so much fun, and what a beautiful bow! My daughter was inspired by Brave and wants to take up archery (yippee says I) but the place near us that will teach kids requires them to be at least 10...she's almost 7. So when she turns 10, she and I will begin taking lessons and I am super excited!

September 1, 2012 at 10:54 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Ah, I do miss shooting with my SCAdian friends. My children will continue to grow, and perhaps sooner than I think, they'll want to come shoot with us....

September 2, 2012 at 8:23 AM  
Blogger redbird said...

Impressive!!

September 2, 2012 at 8:56 PM  
Anonymous Drew Shiel said...

What's your SCA name?

(Aodh Ó Siadhail, of the Shire of Dun in Mara, Principality of Insulae Draconis, Kingdom of Drachenwald)

September 3, 2012 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

Glenn Linn is going to have a new archer! Weez and I set up the target in the back yard and she's a natural. You'll be seeing us at an event one of these days. :)

September 4, 2012 at 9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home