Thursday, September 6, 2012

six miles and a toddler

Went for my longest trip ever on Merlin today. We did our usual 4-mile trail ride at Sheriff Tuckers' property and then instead of going back to the farm like usual, we headed the opposite direction: the half mile down the mountain road to my Dr Shelly's house. As we headed down the wide country road one of the big dump trucks from the construction site up the hill came barreling down the road. Merlin doesn't care about cars or trucks going past him. (I don't think he'd care about an Oliphaunt going past him). The dump ruck crawled past us out of goodwill and safety (bless him) and gawked at the sight. He wasn't staring at me, that's for sure. He was looking at the pony decked out in western tack with the mane down to his elbows. It's not often you see a unicorn around these parts.

We waved by to the truck and turned right up the dirt road that lead to Shelly's house. When we hit the long winding driveway to her property I picked Merlin up into a canter so we could arrive in style. Merlin exploded up the dirt road in a joyful and smooth run and I could not believe this was the same pony who could only trot for 15 minute sat a time when I got him. He's lost over a hundred pounds this summer and our 6 miles left him sweating, but just fine. Most of the ride is just a happy walk, but it sure was awesome to make that kind of entrance!

Shelly was in the driveway and smiled to see us. She said when she heard the running hoof prints she knew it had to be me. "Who else would arrive for a social call on horseback", she said? She was getting her toddler Aidan into his car seat, they were about to head out on an errand. I said I was just stopping by to say hi and we chatted for a while. She thought Merlin was a peach, and Aidan gawked more than the dump truck guy.

I hopped off when I arrived and Shelly gave Merlin some water from a cooler. He drank a bit and cooled down and then Aidan, her son, asked if he could get up on the horse? Sure! I said, and the lad held onto the horn and walked around his mama's front lawn. Shelly said it was his first time on a horse that didn't just stand still under him and I beamed at her. Aidan was glowing, so was his mother. I think we got a future rider up there!

7 Comments:

Anonymous cowgirlofia said...

Merlin looks HUGE there!

September 6, 2012 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

14 honest hands of draft pony!

September 6, 2012 at 4:04 PM  
Blogger Patty said...

Love the inclusion of "honest" you cowgirl you!

September 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM  
Blogger kaelak said...

He really is a gorgeous, sweet horse. Can't wait to meet him at Antlerstock!!

September 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM  
Blogger Desiree Nielsen said...

he's so handsome!!

September 6, 2012 at 10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a treat for the young lad.

How is Jasper doing?

September 7, 2012 at 2:58 AM  
Blogger tami said...

I still remember the first time I was up on a horse when I was a kid. I felt I was in the clouds! Horse fever set in after that for sure.

Love the pic. The smiles say it all!

September 7, 2012 at 8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home