Monday, September 24, 2012

Season Passes & Antlered Dulcimers

Winter Prep is coming along, and the work to prepare for what is ahead is down to firewood and lumber. I have secured some hay, had the chimneys inspected and cleaned, and got snow tires to replace my balding previous ones on the Dodge. The two big jobs left to do are get more firewood (at least 2 more cords) and order the lumber to finish the horses' barn for the cold ahead. Right now the horses only have four poles and a slanted roof and it suits them fine three seasons of the year, but for harsh snowfall and bitter winds they need some walled protection. I know it'll get done. It just requires figuring out how.

I have only two spots left for Antlerstock this Columbus Day Weekend. You could either pay for the two day event, or buy a Season Pass for just a bit more and not only come to THIS antlerstock, but NEXT YEARS. Antlerstock is always 2 full days with many experts on hand. This year will include professors, authors, homesteaders, farmers, and teachers of all sorts. We're cutting down trees, logging with horses, throwing axes, brewing beer, having campfires, carving pumpkins, and pressing cider (and that's just SOME of what's hapening!). Please come on down and support the farm!

I thought up this idea recently: put the Season Pass on sale, and offer an incentive for folks to take me up on the offer. I am going to offer a discounted Season Pass rate of $350. That means you can come to ANY and ALL workshops for an entire year including Antlerstock ( my two day homesteading extravaganza). If you sign up you will be entered for a drawing to win a TK O'Brien Leaping Deer Dulcimer. They are a $275+ value, made in North Carolina. And if you are already a Season Pass member, your name will be in the drawing as well. A Season Pass is a great gift for a friend with Barnheart, and if you are a part of a pro-CAF couple, then we can work out a two-person discount as well. Please email me to sign up!

Right now you will see a lot of yard sales, workshops, new ads, promotions and things like this on the blog as it's a tight time and this is how I make my living now. I do not expect things to stay like this much longer. I have some bigger things in the works like future book deals and speaking events but while I am getting myself and the animals ready and facing the reality of looming obligations I am going to try every way I can to keep this ship afloat. So I guess what I am saying is please be patient if the pitches and workshop announcements annoy you, they won't always be there! I am hoping by November you'll see a sharp decline and a lot more contented winter writing and webinar updates instead. Until then, I have fires that need to burn, walls to raise for a pair of ponies, and a few banks to make happy.

Tuatha na dá bPréacháin Eitilt, (Of the two flying crows)

-j

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristy said...

Do you have a salvage yard locally? We have one near us and we buy wood and stuff there for a lot of our outdoor projects. We even bought barn tin for our tractor shed. It's all new stuff at a bit of a discount.

September 19, 2012 at 9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you thought about using discarded pallets for wood for the horse shed?
It's not ideal, but a lot of times it's free.

September 19, 2012 at 10:28 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Another thought is that if you have a mill close by, rough cut wood planks are generally less expensive than milled boards.

September 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I think you mentioned previously you were getting scrap lumber from a barn at Jon Katz's place - is that still possible?

September 19, 2012 at 3:50 PM  
Blogger Fernleaf said...

I wish I could trade you the firewood that we've been putting up the last week, we're stockpiling it out of 'habit' because we don't actually have a woodstove to fuel... I wish there were some magical way to get it across the country to you. :(

September 19, 2012 at 7:57 PM  
Anonymous TwoBlueJays said...

Jenna, don't apologize for what you need to do to keep yourself afloat. We all rely on each other, in some way, to do the same thing. You've reduced it to the barest, most intimate common denominator, person to person, one-to-one, and that's rare in this age. I admire and respect the fact that your way is the personal way, the way our very recent immediate ancestors made their way. Barter, trade, swap. All are good and honest ways of supporting yourself and your enterprise. Never apologize. You are on the right track.

September 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home