Tuesday, September 11, 2012

payment for morning chores

In exchange for my morning chores the farm gave me a dozen free-range eggs and a shirt-full of red potatoes planted in June! I'm going to wash off one of these taters, chop up one of the smaller garden onions, crack some eggs and have a fry up! Not a bad trade for half an hour of carrying hay, tussling manes, and pouring water into metal bins.

There's a fire in the farmhouse this morning. Yesterday morning Patty brought Steele over for a ride and as we explored the mountain we could feel the crisp morning air in our conversation, feel the first leaves crunching under our horses feet. The leaves are just starting to change, barely. I hope this Autumn takes his time and lasts a while. I welcome him with all I've got. His wildness, color, warmth, and the oranges and reds that cover his dirty brown skin. He's the love of my life.

10 Comments:

Blogger Karen Rickers said...

I love the way you describe Autumn! God, I love Autumn. Can't come soon enough for me. :-D

September 11, 2012 at 8:29 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

Enjoy your breakfast! I love that feeling of walking in with an arm full of fresh stuff!

September 11, 2012 at 8:42 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Ah, I needed this today. Thanks :)

September 11, 2012 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger Krista said...

Beautifully written.

September 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

I agree...Autumn is my favorite time of the year! Beautifully said and steady as she goes on the manuscript edits...it' will be a great read I'm sure!

September 11, 2012 at 11:58 AM  
Blogger Tam said...

Autumn is my favorite, too--and this year finds me in a completely new environs so I am sure I will be delighted with whatever he offers (it will certainly differ from the extremely subtle autumns in Florida).

September 11, 2012 at 12:12 PM  
Anonymous iacowg said...

Please don't tell my husband, but I have an "indiscretion" with Autumn annually. I just can't help myself......

September 11, 2012 at 10:40 PM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

Mmmm...I donned the Carharts, wool socks and a hoody over my long sleeve this morning to walk the dog and do my morning chores. I wish I didn't have to change into "office" clothes to go to work. Someday, Carharts and woolies will be my work clothes!

Enjoy your day!

September 12, 2012 at 7:00 AM  
Anonymous Raining Iguanas said...

Great little post to start the day. I just had breakfast. I now want what you're having. I swear I can smell onions sizzling away.

September 12, 2012 at 7:21 AM  
Blogger Mo said...

Fall is my favorite season of all especially since I live in the Sonoran desert where we don't really get one to speak of! :(

September 13, 2012 at 10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home