Thursday, September 13, 2012

Fiddler Check In

Hey there Fiddle Campers! I'm checking in to see how you're doing? Anyone getting stuck or need help, please email me. And remember, it just takes five memorized songs to come back for the potluck in October. I hope some of you can make it. And just to be clear, the songs you learn do not have to be from the Erbsen book. Some folks were really interested in Celtic fiddling, others in French Canadian or old English ballads. Whatever inspires you, get to it. I just wanted to hear how it is going?

I'm thinking of you all because yesterday a camper named Trish sent me a CD of music and a note about her practice. She said she loves playing and I lit up reading her note. It made me think about all of you. I so adored that weekend and hope you are keeping the faith!

Here's a suggested fiddle workout if you want some practice ideas:

10 slow D scales, low D to high D
10 slow D scales, high D to low D
10 D scales, with shuffles thrown in (either order)

5 Ida Reds
5 Ida Reds with shuffling (listen to your CD)

5 Times practicing New song with CD
5 times playing First staff of New Song
5 Times playing Second staff
5 Times playing song whole, try to sound like CD

Inspiration: listen to a fiddle song you love or aspire to play
i.e. Ashokan Farewell, Celtic Aires, or Christmas Carols.

8 Comments:

Blogger MIB said...

I wasn't at the fiddle workshop, but Jenna, I wanted to let you know that I picked up a strumstick for myself and one for my husband after you mentioned them on the blog an age ago.

My husband hasn't touched his in awhile, but earlier this week, I found myself sitting out in a paddock with my strumstick, plucking away at "Danny Boy" and "Molly Malone" while my Morgan gelding ran around, kicking up his heels like only a four-year-old horse can. It was a beautiful thing.

So thanks for that nudge way back when!

September 13, 2012 at 12:45 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Loving every minute of playing my fiddle! I have been working through Erbson's book slowly but surely. It's the best feeling to be able to start a new song and have a plan of attack for learning it. It's also changed the way I listen to music. I am more in tune with what the musicians are doing. Love it love it love it!

September 13, 2012 at 5:09 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I didn't go to fiddle camp but I love the picture with the cat and the fiddle too cool!!!!

September 13, 2012 at 9:52 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Doing ok! Have memorized Camptown Races and House of the Rising Sun and spent a little time each week running through them. Still working on making each note and transition sound clean.

Tackled Amazing Grace Wed. night and it didn't go as well as I'd hoped. I stuck with it, though, and made it kinda sound like the right song. Will keep working away at it!

So those are three of my Fiddler's Rendezvous songs. The last two will be one Scottish jig or reel and one Scottish air or lament. Wish me luck!

September 14, 2012 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger Chautauqua said...

Glad you like the CD, I listen to it in my car and it fills a place in my heart that I didn't know was empty. I'm working on The Big 5, and, God willing, will be at the Oct. fiddle potluck. I'm working my way thru the book, am up to Cumberland Mountain Deer Chase.

As for you, my dear Jenna, you are an inspiration to us all! Never give up your dream.

Trish

September 14, 2012 at 10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jenna, I had a wonderful time at fiddle camp and have been practicing a few more songs. I plan to get together with my brother who can play guitar chords as accompaniment. The rest of my family supportive -maybe we'll get a strumstick and all play music on the front porch! I'm sorry not to have responded earlier, but my Mom has become quite I'll and I am down in North Carolina with my Dad taking care of her under hospice care.
I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Linda from Virginia

September 16, 2012 at 1:11 PM  
Anonymous Janet Louise said...

Your blog was recommended by a friend as I just went to the Gaelic College in Cape Breton to learn the Breton fiddle. I like your practice suggestions. I had just figured out that a routine similar to yours is necessary for me too. Thanks for that confirmation. Can you give me more information about the Erbson book? It's new to me. Also could I have more information about your fiddle camp. Where are you? Janet

September 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Janet L: I live in near the town of Cambridge, NY an hour north of Albany. If you are interested in the fiddle weekend in Feb, please email me at jenna@itsafarwalk.com with details!

September 17, 2012 at 12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home