Thursday, September 20, 2012

blacksmiths and fairs

Forgive me if this sounds like forced colloquialism, but I need to take my horse cart to a black smith today. It's true. One of the wheel's frames bent when I was taking Merlin out on a (possibly) over ambitious trail cart ride through the woods. I was driving and Ajay was my fellow passenger and as we headed up a wooded path by the creek too much weight shifted and part of the frame just bent in on itself. I guess 400 pounds was a bit over the weight limit.

The event was pretty anti climatic, it just kinda flopped sideways, like a flat tire. I got us out and tried to bend it back but at a forced move it just snapped through a rusty bit. So today I will load it up in my truck and take it to a blacksmith I know in Greenwich. I met him before when Patty introduced me to him back when she needed her trailer hitch welded. I think he can repair it by just reinforcing it. I can keep it from happening again by understanding the carts limits. Live and learn.

The blacksmith is one of several stops I am making before the House Sitter arrives and I leave for the weekend in Pennsylvania. I'm looking forward to the Mother Earth News Fair, very much so. I am doing two talks: a workshop about blogs and a keynote about community. Gibson is, of course, coming along and so is Brett. We're sharing the driving and he's going to get a kick out of the Big Show.

I'm only leaving for one full day but it is a circus here getting everything, and everyone ready before I head out. Goats need to be milked, supplies readied, farm sitter's shown around, keys and lists handed out, etc and so on.

Soon as I get back it is full steam ahead on Antlerstock plans and preparations. If you are coming to teach a workshop and have not spoken to my yet about your plans, please please do. Send me an email! And for those attending, remember it is Columbus Day Weekend, and that is fairly soon!

I'll be back Sunday Night!

P.S. Some folks sent emails upset about the new text ads. I am keeping them up for now since they are an asset to the farm already. If the content offends anyone, understand that it is generated by predetermined code and I do not pick the links personally. They should be generated by subject in tandem with the current posts.

17 Comments:

Blogger RamblinHome said...

Good luck, have fun and can't wait for pictures and stories!

September 20, 2012 at 6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great time at the Fair! I wish I could go, but I will have to wait until next year. Too much going on, this year. Looking forward to seeing pics & reading stories. :)

-Brandi

September 20, 2012 at 8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will see you there! Don't forget my new fiddle, I can't wait to annoy everyone with it! Lol
Erin in PA

September 20, 2012 at 9:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jenna - pay no mind to complaints about the ads - you have to go looking for them! If they just want to read your posts - that is all they have to look at - they are not intrusive - there are so many negative people out there - you do what you need to do. The majority understand you need to make a living - we all do! Love your posts!

September 20, 2012 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger ladyfarrier said...

Jenna, "bicycle" tires just aren't safe for driving purposes. They are designed to withstand force directly from above (on a bicycle) The side torque that is encountered by a two wheel cart will cause them to twist (as you found out) or worse, simply collapse. An accident waiting to happen.

Try to find some real solid framed wheels for your cart. Any Amish in your area?

September 20, 2012 at 10:45 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I was concerned about those tires. hopefully the reinforcing will take care of that.

September 20, 2012 at 10:48 AM  
Blogger Rosa Veldkamp said...

I wouldn't worry about the text ads.
I have been randomly clicking for you as cash is in short supply but a click (or 4) costs me nothing!

September 20, 2012 at 10:50 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Good luck at the blacksmith today.

I'm looking forward to meeting you at the fair.

Wishing you and Brett safe travels to and from the fair.

See you there!

Carol Bailey

September 20, 2012 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Don't worry about the ads! they don't hinder blog enjoyment and they help fund the farm! Have a great weekend.

September 20, 2012 at 11:34 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Have fun at the fair!!! I wish I lived closer. I say this all the time but I do! Looking forward to your stories about it, Have a safe trip ☺

September 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger Moose Hollow Farm said...

Have a great time, Jenna & drive safe. Can't wait to see your stories on your blog. Wish we could all be there with you.

September 20, 2012 at 1:38 PM  
Blogger greendria said...

You have the least intrusive text ads of the blogs I read. And even if they were more prominent, so what, one can easily read around them, right? Geez

Wish I could see you speak at the MEN event

September 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM  
Blogger chesapeake said...

It took me several scrolls up and down your blog page to even find the ads, fyi.

Have fun this weekend at MEN!

September 20, 2012 at 3:36 PM  
Blogger maddie said...

noooo I have to go a whole weekend without updates?! how'm I supposed to procrastinate!!?!

also...it took me ages to even find the little ads. I love the links along the side anyhow. Have fun at the fair!

September 20, 2012 at 4:09 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

I had to really look to find those ads! Pay no mind to the whiners. I've been clicking on them for you, hope it earns you a few cents :).

September 22, 2012 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger sloejennfizz said...

I think most of those ads are actually generated by the cookies on your computer especially if you are signed into Google. Every ad I have seen over there has been for something I have been doing a Google search for in the past 24 hours. So if someone is being offended by the content they may want to consider what someone is searching or looking at on their computer. Just a thought for the anger folks. Keep up the good work, Jenna.

September 22, 2012 at 9:55 PM  
Blogger Margie said...

If the ads help play the bills, we're happy to click on them occasionally for Cold Antler.

September 23, 2012 at 9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home