Sunday, September 9, 2012

away to me!

It is chilly this morning, and the green grass on the hillside is tipped with cold dew. It's not a frost, not by twenty degrees, but the 50 degree morning was a wake up call. It's September now, and October will bring many mornings that start with a warm stove and nights that end with it, but during the day the black boxes will remain cold and unnecessary. Before you know it those stoves become my real full time job. My life will revolve around words and fire. A primitive and happy combination. Just as I like it.

I am also happy to report both chimneys were inspected and cleaned where needed. The experts at Black Magic came and worked here Friday afternoon and gave me a detailed report. All is ready to light up both wood stoves when the mornings get a bit colder. It's a good feeling, and another checked-off item of import from the list of winter preparation. It was paid for by the yard sale I posted online here, which was a great help and I thank you! With the chimneys ready, hay in the barn, and only firewood left to store and consider I am feeling good about the timeline. As long as three cords are stacked by Antlerstock all will be well. I sometimes feel like Winter Prep updates here a broken record, but it really is the most important song I have to sing right now.

Today I'm off to spend the day at the Merck Forest Sheepdog Trials and catch up with some old faces I have missed. I will be watching, helping keep score if asked. It's something I have missed dearly, the lessons and the excitement of the trials. The outdoor chores are done and coffee is on the stove so all I need to do is get on a kilt and some rubber boots and hit the road with Gibson. This weekend really has been a classic dog and pony show. Monday means back to the computer and hard effort finishing Days of Grace so I can wrap up that project, finally, and get ready for books ahead. If I can land a small book contract by snowfly I will be set for winter and in much better financial shape. It'll happen, somehow. I'll worry about the how's of it later. Those are the kind of details that bury a woman.

Time to go see a sheepdog trial! Away to me!

9 Comments:

Blogger Back Achres said...

I was raised on a small farm in northern NY, along the St. Lawrence (north of the ADKs)in the 50 and 60s. Our whole year was focused on "making it through the winter". From putting food by, haying, clothing, getting in wood, and banking the house. I think winter prep is the most common thought for most northern farms...not surprised it is at the top of your thoughts. Keep up the good work.thoughts.

September 9, 2012 at 8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy your day to be sure!
Have you considered though that THIS winter you are home ALL day where last winter you were at the office part of the day so the fires didn't need as much fuel as you weren't there using them?
Perhaps you have and that's why the extra cord, just hasn't come up, would the 3 cord be what you went through last year while you were away 8 or whatever hours a day?

September 9, 2012 at 9:19 AM  
Blogger Crisy said...

I simply cannot wait for your new book! You are an inspiration! Thank you Thank you Thank you. Hey btw - you don't have to post this - I called an ordered a book from Battenkill yest - How delightful to get a human on the phone! Very very nice - the next time we are up visiting that little gem is on our list!!

September 9, 2012 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I love this kind of update - simple and filled with both contentment and potential. Have a great day with doggies!

September 9, 2012 at 11:10 AM  
Blogger maddie said...

Hey Jenna,

I have an ereader and I've been trying to find your books electronically. I can't so I'm assuming they aren't available, is this something you have to sign on for? Something you'll plan to do in the future?

Anyways, I know you're busy and I you're off to have a fun day. Enjoy!

September 9, 2012 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

The sheep picture doesn't look real - it looks like cake. I know that sounds weird, but his (her?) face is such a chocolate color and the wool around it looks like frosting! Again, I know, weird. :-)

September 9, 2012 at 9:39 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Jenna-
I plan all summer(canning and freezing) for having enough to get thru the winter until the garden is ready again to feed us. I cannot imagine how much more I will feel pushed to prepare when I have the farm's wood stove and animals to feed. Any concern you feel is totally justified:)

September 9, 2012 at 10:56 PM  
Blogger seagrrlz said...

Can't wait until your next book comes out! I have bought a few books that I have seen mentioned on your site. I was wondering if you have a list of book recommendations? While I'm waiting for your new book to come out :)

September 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger kaelak said...

@maddie - I bought Barnhart on Amazon for my Kindle so they are available!

September 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home