Friday, August 31, 2012

winter prep continues

Wednesday morning felt like the first real kiss of Autumn. 45 degrees and me walking around in a hoodie. What a feeling to behold. I was outside milking Bonita, watching the first yellow leaves fall in the wind and listening to the chorusing of hens and geese in the woods behind the barn. Gibson, George, and Monday were all staring at the single remaining turkey poult in her little tractor. The other five did not make it. I couldn't help but chuckle as the milk rang into the steel pail. To see a dog, cat, and lamb stare at a little awkward bird from the stanchion was a sight indeed.

Winter prep is still going on. I still need a lot of hay, firewood, and things like oil delivered and the chimney swept. The highest priority item is having professional chimney sweeps come and scale the roof to clean out every bit of gunk in the two chimneys and inspect them for a winter of hard, hard use. I have Black Magic Sweepers of Vermont coming Tuesday and am thrilled to have that task crossed off the list. A lot of folks save money doing this themselves but I am both scared of heights and not comfortable with the task. My chimneys can't be swept bottom-up and so I let the professionals do it. I feel better and ready to burn a comfy fire if I wanted when they leave. I think we'll be smelling wood smoke around here by mid-september.

I ordered a cord of wood from Bob at Maple Lane Farm and am soon making payments towards it. I also have a neighbor who offered to get me wood if we can set up a work day to do it. I need to follow up and check for availability of help.

Good News! Jon and Maria are letting me salvage whatever old barn boards I want from the old barn they are going to tear down. If I can start making walls on the horse's pole barn out of free salvage I'll save a lot of money on lumber costs. That money can go into hay or bills. Every bit counts.

I am making it, just.
I will continue to make it.
I got a good feeling about this winter.

15 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

That is great news about the free barn wood! That will make some nice walls for the ponies this winter. And free is so nice. I will take free whenever I can. Sorry anout the 5 turkeys. What happened?

August 31, 2012 at 6:52 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Yes, you will make it. You have such stamina and good mojo around you, you can't help but make it. Glad to know the last turkey is still hanging out at home. Bless those neighbors of yours - they're good people.

Cath

August 31, 2012 at 7:12 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

And don't forget to check out Renew in Brattleboro, where you can get salvage wood etc. for cheap. Of course free is best! Good luck, and you know the stars will align when they're meant to.

August 31, 2012 at 8:01 PM  
OpenID Sonja - A Tree by The River said...

You go , girl! And I love your writings about fall. You make me hardly be able to wait for it!

August 31, 2012 at 8:50 PM  
Blogger Karen Rickers said...

Oh, the joy of salvage!

So glad your prep is going well, because as we all know, "Winter is coming". (Man, I was bummed when they chopped Sean Bean's head off!)

August 31, 2012 at 9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jenna...as a young boy, my father and i would tear old buildings down for the materials. the wood and other materials from these buildings were used to build chicken coops, rabbit hutches, a very large garage/workshop, a 7 foot fence around the majority of our property, a goat shed and two potting sheds for flowers. we used everything..including the old nails which i had the job of straightening with a hammer and brick. get all that you can and store it for later use if possible. Best of wishes.

karl micheal

September 1, 2012 at 12:26 AM  
Anonymous Uta said...

Jon and Maria are such nice people, I'm glad you can get the barn wood from them. You will have a lot of history in your barn. Good luck this Winter.

September 1, 2012 at 5:32 AM  
Blogger daisy said...

I think this winter will be a lot easier than last year. You are so much better prepared. Not only that, your head is in a better space. The universe IS conspiring in your favor. Relish it.

September 1, 2012 at 6:12 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I'd love some free barn wood. Right now we are looking for some local rough sawn lumber to build out our pole barn. The goats will need a windbreak for the winter!

September 1, 2012 at 8:40 AM  
Blogger Trekout2 said...

Jenna if you need more wood put an ad on craigs list ... Wanted free scrap lumber .. Also my brother never pays for fire wood in new York he puts an add on craigslist will hual off down trees... Good luck
Love seeing fall post ...

September 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM  
Anonymous cowgl said...

I'm ready for sweatshirt weather!!

And I have SO much wood. If you were west of the Mississippi I would load you up!!

Hay sales here are $4.35/small square and $310/T for large rounds. wow. I hope prices for you are not as crazy high. Thank the cow gods that we have enough baled...

BTW, do you have a splitter for your wood??

September 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger redbird said...

Yes, I know this winter will be good at CAF, and good neighbors can sure make life so much sweeter.

Once slid off a steep roof onto the lower laundry room roof trying to help clean a chimney about 10 years ago and hit hard…I think I saw stars for at least 5 hours afterwards, but at least I was seeing them at all! Professionals are a good choice!

September 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM  
Anonymous Daniel said...

I love getting things for free!

It's good to hear that things are coming together for your winter preparations. Keep working hard and I'm sure that everything will fall into place.

September 2, 2012 at 5:38 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

So what happended to the turkeys - did the wee things get sick or did they get taken by something larger?

September 2, 2012 at 9:09 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

I always feel the sense of urgency in the fall to finish canning those last tomatoes, store the beets and winter squash, and prep the garden for next spring. Good to know many of us feel the same, as many of our relatives did many years ago. I also echo that free is great. I advertised on a swap site for manure and got 4 free offers. I finally was able to buy a used truck and am scouting for fallen logs, free wood, and other freebies when I am out:)When the economy stinks, bartering and free are valuable practices. You'll be just fine this winter due to your prep work:)

September 3, 2012 at 12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home