Sunday, August 19, 2012

who changed who?

It is hard to believe that less than six months ago Merlin was a picture in a Craigslist Ad. Now he's right outside the kitchen window. That horse is changing me, or has come into my life at a time of intense personal change—either way he's more significant than a saddle holder. He's this massive, mythical creature that is the symbol of a mythical time in my own life. Merlin met me when I was a struggling office employee scared to so much as canter, dealing with a great amount of personal pain and confusion. Now we are literally galloping into autumn together. Both of us are different animals. I'm a self-employed, full-time creative homesteader and he's a hundred pounds thinner and more trained and utilized than he has been in years. Just a few nights ago I was riding him up into the forested paths and open hayfields on my mountain, Brett and his Haflinger Dolly at my flank. We'd move the horses up and around the mountain, taking turns at the lead and exploring all the paths and outcrops. It was sublime, something that belonged in a movie. And yet, it was just a Thursday afternoon. And when I look back on this blog, just to April or May I see another person all together and I wonder how much a black horse had to do with it?

9 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Kalvestran said...

What a great reflection.

August 19, 2012 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger Karen Rickers said...

That's so great, Jenna.

August 19, 2012 at 9:10 AM  
Anonymous Pooh Overalls said...

You grow, girl!

August 19, 2012 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger Katie Falkenberg said...

Beautiful. What a connection you two share.

August 19, 2012 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger Melina said...

I noticed in Jon Katz's photos that Merlin looked like he had lost some of his extra weight. I saw this quote today on the Beekman boys newsfeed and it made me think of you. "if you are lucky enough to find the way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it." John Irving. I'm happy for you both.

August 19, 2012 at 12:33 PM  
Blogger John Taylor said...

Sometimes.....you never know who or what will come into your life and change it for the better. Horses are amazing animals and it appears you have found the horse you are mean to be with.

Grace and Peace,

John

August 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM  
Blogger redhorse said...

Everything. He had everything to do with it.

August 19, 2012 at 8:56 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

That's why they say the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man! I have a sign in my tack room that says "Time spent on the back of a horse is not deducted from one's lifespan." At the very least, it greatly enriches that life. So glad you're happy.

August 19, 2012 at 8:56 PM  
Blogger farmhousewife said...

Horses are our mirrors! Your reflection is beaming with happiness, contentment, and purpose.

Keep calm and ride on!

August 20, 2012 at 12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home