Saturday, August 4, 2012

some people get guard dogs...


Blogger laurie said...

I have young Embdens and they do this same thing! I got them after the neighbor dog killed chickens because both times he came a-killin the dogs were inside and didn't hear a thing. I figured some geese would make noise. They were very quiet when the coyote came by this early morning. The cat told the dogs about that and they ran it off. Now I know what ate a few chickens last month. I'll be so glad to get the perimeter fence finished!

August 4, 2012 at 7:48 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

My grandparents had a pair of geese when I was a kid. They used to chase cars out of the driveway and peck at the tires until the car was out of their territory. Fred, the king actually bit my uncle so hard once I think he had to get stiches. Is that possible? Do geese have teeth? Just a childhood memory. Sometimes they get stretched as we get older. :)

August 4, 2012 at 7:50 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

We used to walk near an old estate that had a pair of guard geese. One of them attacked us, and my dad stopped him with a Tae Kwon Do side-kick. It was pretty hilarious, since my dad was known for his poor flexibility, and could only kick knee-high. Good thing the one and only time he needed his skills, it was on a goose! (and don't worry, the goose was fine, it really just hurt its pride!)

August 4, 2012 at 12:46 PM  
Anonymous H said...

This made me laugh! I remember growing up down the street from my friend whose parents kept a *duck* out in their from yard - on a leash (it was very suburban, not rural, maybe that's why?). Anyway, that duck was one mean SOB - I hated going over to her house when he was out! ;-)

August 4, 2012 at 2:21 PM  
Blogger Moose Hollow Farm said...

We had a goose exactly like these about 20 years ago. I was the only one afraid of him and he knew it. In order for me to get to my car, I had to carry a broom in case I got attacked. We called the little booger Nightstalker and my kids & I still laugh at how he used to chase me. My husband got tired of hearing me scream when I was trying to get to the driveway from the house so he gave Nightstalker to a friend who had a farm with other geese. Thank gooseness!!

August 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

You don't need a guard dog with him around! :) I love geese. They're loud and nice and.. assertive. :)

August 4, 2012 at 5:13 PM  
Anonymous Jennie said...

Jenna, Such coincidence. I just finished reading Rachel Barlow's blog "Picking my battles-Dispatches from the homefront". There was an article on how one of her geese (she-goose named Grendel) thwarted her 2year old toddler from making a getaway to the street. Then to see this beautiful photo of the geese on your blog. Yes, geese can be momentary monsters - particularly if there are some wee goslings out and about. Best, Jennie

August 4, 2012 at 6:59 PM  
Blogger J.D. said...

May I introduce Cold Antler Farm's Guard Geese. Honk if you come up the driveway and prepare to run.

August 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM  
Blogger Justine said...

glad to see your geese are doing ok not sure if you ever wrote if they made it through that night but im glad they are faring well :-)

August 5, 2012 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I dont know why I enjoy reading about those geese but I do! Glad they are doing well and Lil Ryan seems to be thriving~

August 5, 2012 at 5:55 PM  
Blogger Wendy Halliman said...

I can't wait to meet all of your critters!! We used to have all kinds of animals both domestic and wild (I was a licensed wildlife rehabilitator for over 10 years) One thing I learned about geese is they are extremely cowardly beneath all those feathers. If they come at you, make yourself large and run right at 'em!! If we had any that got too sassy, I would pick that one up and carry him around while I did chores thus embarassing him in front of his comrades!! (Also worked with sassy roosters!!)

August 10, 2012 at 4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home