Thursday, August 2, 2012

onion wisdom

I remember an old joke about the 80-year-old man with the amazing garden in his backyard. His young neighbor keeps trying to grow food and he asked his elder, in exasperation, "How do you manage to keep that garden so healthy!?" and the old man explained he stopped putting things he couldn't grow in his garden. This is wisdom.

I am a struggling gardener at the Jackson Farm. I was far better in Vermont where my the garden was fenced, and I only had a handful of animals so most of my time could be dedicated to it. If you go back and look at posts from 2008 and 2009 in July the garden is stupidly bountiful.

Here, I am good (read good to mean, groundhogs and deer do not eat) onions, tomatoes, basil, and garlic. Yes, Italian food. My groundhogs are in no way affiliated with the mafia.

Bonus Tip: do not rub your eyes after picking onions.

5 Comments:

Blogger Edgar Sugercane said...

I'm surprised that I have not had a deer problem in my garden thus far. Have you tried the trick of using a low, single strand of electric wire baited with peanut butter? Supposedly the deer will nuzzle it and be repelled even though they could jump over it easily...

August 2, 2012 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

It's funny that just yesterday you were talking about winter prep. It got me to thinking that, for me, my food growing/preserving activities are my biggest winter preparation. I already have 30 quarts of tomatoes ready for stews, chili and spaghetti this winter, plus a lot of other goods I've either preserved or frozen (starting with a big carrot crop I harvested in March specifically to be frozen for this next winter!). We will have a pig in the freezer as well. I have to use chicken wire, bird netting and lots of other deterrents around the fruits and veggies because we are on acreage in the country, but really, what's more important than food when it comes to security in winter? You can even cut back on heat (if you had to) if your belly is full. Without hearty meals (including lots of fruits and veggies, not just meat) and stores in the cupboards, it doesn't matter how warm the house is, you will still not feel well.

You really did have an awesome garden back in Vermont, BTW! Your garden was part of what inspired mine. : )

August 2, 2012 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

Those damn deer and gophers did a number on my garden too! No cauliflower, broccoli, peas or beans this year, I may be lucky to get a few cukes, a summer squash and a zucchini, but my onions, tomatoes and basil are going gangbusters!

August 3, 2012 at 6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1st love your blog it's so inspiring and helpful.....I lucky don't have a critter problem ( bunnies are the big thing here and marigolds hold them back).....but people around here with deer problems use yellow caution tape encircling the garden. I don't know why it works....maybe they can read and we have been under estimating there abilities to follow rules....lol.....I worked for a doctor that grew his garden in a dog kennel...protected from all sides. -taryn

August 4, 2012 at 8:58 AM  
Blogger Trisha said...

I know there isn't much you can do about the deer, but did you know you can eat groundhogs? Check it out: http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/groundhog-day-groundhog-recipes.aspx

Mother Earth News also said the hide makes good leather!

August 8, 2012 at 10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home