Friday, August 10, 2012

Five Year Anniversary!

So this week marks the 5-year anniversary of Cold Antler Farm. Five years of one person's story, covering three different farms in three different states. I thank you all for reading. You've helped turn a renter's dream into her full time job. It took a few years, sure, but we did it. In celebration of the last five years and many more to come, I thought I'd share the first ever post from back in August of 2007.

Welcome to the blog for Cold Antler Farm. Cold Antler isn’t a place - It’s an idea. Named for my love of cervine symbols in ancient cultures and the poems of Han San, Cold Antler seemed like the perfect name for home. Right now Cold Antler is a retired cattle farm in Sandpoint Idaho. Here I raise chickens (heavy laying hens and some black silkie bantams), angora rabbits and a hive of honeybees. I also tend a few hearty gardens. I live with my two working housedogs, Siberian huskies named Jazz and Annie. They are working pack and sled dogs, and like everyone here at the farm, they do their part. My goal is greater sustainability and self-sufficiency in a world where those two things seem to have gone out of fashion. Being a renter, this takes a little more ingenuity and adaptability than the permanence of a regular farm...

This will be a place that hosts all farm-related posts from my personal blog and specific updates on my upcoming book. Idaho rural living, and local farm events (Like the upcoming county fair later this month!). Readers of Dogcoffin, will see a lot of double posts between the two blogs as this one becomes my main online contact and the coffin goes into a protected or offline mode. So thank you for taking time to check up on the barn at the end of the world and check in often.

14 Comments:

Blogger Buttons said...

Happy Anniversary. B

August 10, 2012 at 9:27 AM  
Anonymous Barbara said...

Hsppy fifth anniversary, Jenna. I did not discover you until last fall, through Jon Kats so missed your beginnings, tho I have read your three books. I am a septagenarian who loves what you and many of our youth are understanding and doing for our future - for the future of my kids and grandkids. God speed to you in your heart directed work and play.

August 10, 2012 at 9:49 AM  
Blogger LeaningDuckFarm said...

Congratulations, Jenna. What you've accomplished is a great inspiration.

August 10, 2012 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

The more things change...you could have written this last month. Sure, you've made progress, but your goals haven't changed at all. Happy Blogaversary.

August 10, 2012 at 9:54 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Thanks all! I miss that old barn in Idaho. That farm was magical, it started it all.

August 10, 2012 at 10:07 AM  
Blogger Miriam said...

You were the first blog I started to follow, and you're still the first I turn to every day. I have such admiration for your pluck and smarts and determination, and above all your ability to stay tuned into your own heart when the going gets tough. Happy Anniversary!

August 10, 2012 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger Mary Schroeder said...

Happy Anniversary!

August 10, 2012 at 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Patsy from Illinois said...

Seems like I have been reading your blog forever. One of the firsts one I kept in favorites.
Congrats Jenna. You've done a good job. Proud of ya'.

August 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM  
Blogger seagrrlz said...

Congrats. Love that post.I only started reading ur site in the last year or so. I love that you have stayed on ur path and that no matter what happens, good or bad, you share it all with us.

August 10, 2012 at 12:16 PM  
Blogger Crisy said...

Happy Happy Anniversary!!! Thank you so much for all your inspiration! Im new to the game in a townhouse, so the fact that you started as a renter is AWESOME to me!! I have this week off and one of my goals is to read your older posts as well as 'scratch' Again! Good Energy To You :)

August 10, 2012 at 12:16 PM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

A very happy anniversary! Your last five years have been very inspiring. Someday, I hope to be doing the full time farmer bit, too. But for now, I'll stick w/ my chickens and my (half eaten by gophers and deer) garden, build my goat house in my head and dream about the day when I have a real barn, with real sheep and maybe a cow! Thanks, Jenna, for all that you share!

Tiffany

August 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM  
Blogger Deb Naydan said...

Happy Anniversary, Jenna! Your blog is a joy to read and I'm grateful to Jon for "turning us on" to it. Here's to many more anniversaries to come! Deb

August 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM  
Blogger Joleen said...

Happy Anniversary. It's been a facinating and exciting ride. I'm glad I've been there since the srart and can't wait for what's to come. So proud of you!

August 10, 2012 at 11:54 PM  
Blogger kwdiving said...

Congratulations and best wishes for many more years! We are almost back to key west now. I can not wait to close out that chapter and start a new one in WC. Thank you for the guidance and inspiration! Aidan is still raving about your place, and Monday! All the best!

August 13, 2012 at 7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home