Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Fiddlers' Potluck!

I'm checking in to see how things are going since camp? Have you had time to practice daily? Is staying in tune hard? Have you broken any strings? What did your families think when you came home? I hope things are going well, and I wanted to share an idea that camper Sarah came up with, and I loved. If you attended Fiddle Camp this past weekend, you are invited to an advanced one-day fiddle workshop/potluck at the farm this October. There is no money needed to attend, something much more is required. If you want to come back for the next step in your lessons you need to learn and memorize five songs from your book. It can be any five, long as one of them ISN'T Ida Red! Learn five songs and you are welcome to join us for a catch up and inspirational day at the farm to just talk fiddles, play to together, and we'll learn the basics of playing with a guitar in a jam.

So if you keep practicing, and learn five more songs, then you can come here for the party! It will be October 20th! 10AM-3PM

Oh, and if any of you want to set up a private lesson to learn the fiddle, we can do that as well. You could buy a fiddle from me, have me set it up and readied for you and then spend a few hours going through a crash course to teach yourself. Great for local folks or people who just aren't comfortable in group settings.

11 Comments:

Blogger PattyW said...

Hay there's cellos there! I'm practicing!

August 29, 2012 at 8:32 AM  
Blogger PattyW said...

Hay! There's cellos in that group! I'm practicing!
Love

August 29, 2012 at 8:33 AM  
Blogger Wendy Halliman said...

Been practicing, Trish and I are going to motivate eachother. We're going to pick a new song to learn as we're both sick to death of Ida Red (Who the hell was she anyway?!?!) I love the idea of a potluck, it's a veeeeeery long drive, but if we're still up here (as opposed to in FL) I will try my best to make it. We're going down to Daytona for Biketoberfest, not sure how long we'll be staying. My fiddle and book were the first things I unpacked when I got home, so I could play that thrice-damned Ida Red for my husband, he had a HUGE grin on his face while I played! LOVED IT! :)

August 29, 2012 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Ditto, Wendy! Getting a little sick of Ida Red, so would love to/am planning to learn some new stuff. The husband LOVED to hear me play on Sunday night and is now coveting my fiddle. :) I'll have to bring him along on 10/20 for the Potluck!

August 29, 2012 at 12:01 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

significant others are welcome!

August 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

What a great idea!! I've been practicing Ida Red like crazy. Hubs has been playing with my fiddle too, which is awesome! It was great to teach him what I learned and I'm looking forward to learning more together! Love to come in October but I'll have to wait until it's a little closer before confirming. Keep you posted!!

August 29, 2012 at 12:32 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Yes, practicing even scales!. I had a whole audience with the boys all looking at me with big eyes. Finn is missing his violin. Perhaps I'll sign him up for February. I'd love to come for pot luck! Coming to Antlerstock though so we'll see. I think I need my own farm up there to make the commute shorter:).

August 29, 2012 at 5:53 PM  
Blogger Chautauqua said...

Hey! I'm practicing every day and enjoying the experience (until the frustration sets in!) My conductor/violinist friend has located a fiddler in his orchestra who is open to giving me lessons - we are working out the details. I'm fine-tuning IdaRed and then looking at "Say Darling Say" on the next page. I've also imported the CD to Itunes, set up playlists with, say, 8 repetitions of Say Darling Say so that I can hear it over and over again on my Ipod when I'm walking dogs, etc. I am determined to play this devil stick!!

August 29, 2012 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger Brian B. said...

WAAAA HOO! Still practicing! I will definitely try to meet the criteria.

August 29, 2012 at 10:28 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Learned Camptown Races and the first few notes of House of the Rising Sun tonight - whee! :)

August 30, 2012 at 10:07 PM  
Blogger Chautauqua said...

Wow, Stacey , good on you!

Trish

August 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home