Thursday, August 16, 2012

fall workshop drive!

Winter is coming, and you don't have to be from the House of Stark to know how serious that is, you just need to be a farmer. So far my preparations include a barn with 50 bales of hay stacked inside and a cord of firewood, plus another cord ordered to be delivered in September. I still need about 150 more bales of hay and another 2-3 cords of wood. I am finding ways to make it work, but the sooner I can prepare before October the more I will be able to enjoy the fall and feel safe in this little white farmhouse. To be perfectly honest, I am starting to worry. So this is my attempt to try and remedy that.

I decided to run a workshop drive today, with the goal of selling ten workshops before the weekend! If you have any interest in the following, consider signing up for a day or weekend at the farm: learn to play the fiddle, spin and knit wool, promote your own writing and blog, intro to working horses with guest speaker and natural horsemanship guru Trainer Dave, and of course, the nonstop festivities of Antlerstock.

It is how I support myself now, entirely, so your participation is so very appreciated! If you live around the area and find yourself wanting to go to more than one or two workshops a year, you can also buy a Season Pass, which is a huge confidence booster and blessing for this farm when they are purchases. They cost the same as Antlerstock and another workshop for a couple and I do sell Season Passes at a discounted couples rate.

So, click this link here, to see all the classes, passes, and workshops being offered. I hope I can motivate some of you to head over here for the fellowship and fun. The farm and I truly appreciate it and all you do as readers and fellow story tellers on your own farms. I thank you again, and hope to see you in my living room soon!

18 Comments:

Blogger Ben Fruchter said...

Jenna, the link to the list of workshops is broken. You don't have to approve this comment, but I wanted to let you know.

August 16, 2012 at 8:35 AM  
Anonymous Kasey said...

Jenna, I live too far away to get to your place unless I take a weeks vacation to do it. Is there any way that you could start to film your workshops and offer them online? Just a thought from those of us who would love to be there!

August 16, 2012 at 9:07 AM  
Blogger katiegirl said...

The nice thing about winter is that it is nice and reliable...comes along every year at the same time without fail. Makes it easy to plan ahead.

August 16, 2012 at 9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can not possibly leave my farm to attend a workshop, but I would be interested in a webinar on meat rabbits or dairy goats.

Heather in PA

August 16, 2012 at 9:20 AM  
Anonymous Frank said...

Wow, either you use a lot of wood, or are preparing a large reserve. We just finished cutting and splitting our ~2 cords last week (8 cubic meters) and started drying about that quantity for the 2013-2014 winter.

August 16, 2012 at 10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenna- Have you considered buying round bales for your sheep and goats? They're much more economical and can be stored outside under a tarp. The only obstacle I can see for you is they need to be moved with machinery. However, if you place them strategically and fence them off until you need them then they should work out. I switched to round bales for my winter needs for everything but my horses and rabbits. It has cut down on my workload significantly and saved me countless dollars too!

August 16, 2012 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger DJ's Farmette said...

Hi Jenna! I live in Maryland and was wandering how far your workshops are from me. Is there a place that has an address, so I can see how I can work something out?

August 16, 2012 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger wendy said...

Hi Jenna - I enjoy your blog every day - I live in california so i cannot attend a workshop - but I want to support you and say thank you for much reading pleasure- i would like to send you a small check to say thank you for all the enjoyment i receive from your blog - what is the best way - address? paypal?
let me know wendy greenspan Wendells4@hotmail.com

August 16, 2012 at 11:27 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 16, 2012 at 11:28 AM  
Blogger Cris said...

I agree with Kasey & Heather--I would so pay to attend a webinar!! Please, please, Jenna, think about doing this! :-D

Cris in WI

August 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger Lissa B. said...

Good luck Jenna! I too live all the way in California and with rabbits and two little girls I can't make it out to a workshop until the girls are old enough to care for the animals and themselves when I'm gone. But I really hope you get a lot of good response to your workshop drive! I'm pulling for you and I'm sure no matter what happens, you will be fine this winter. You always figure something out.

August 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I second both Kasey and Heather's post. I'm also way too far away to attend a workshop. I would love to do the Words and Wool workshop.

August 16, 2012 at 2:04 PM  
Blogger Knit Picky Knitter said...

I would love to buy Monday but I don't have a place for him - yet!

Jenna - you need to update your profile so it says Occupation: Farmer and not graphic designer! I would do a webinar as well - we live in Chicago but we are working towards moving to a more rural location in the next two years and are doing lots of research now to make it happen.

August 16, 2012 at 2:47 PM  
Anonymous Mary said...

While I don't own a farm or plan to, I appreciate how you share your observations and experiences. I did make a donation through pay pal as a thank you.

August 16, 2012 at 6:21 PM  
Blogger Woman Seeking Center said...

I'll add yet another resounding 'yes, pleeeaasseee' to the request for webinar offerings!

Farm needs/responsibilites here combined with costs of hotel, travel and meals complicate workshop attendance.

I'd happily consider converting those funds (travel/hotel/meals) towards a webinar from you Jenna.

Sure I'd rather be right there at CAF in person ~ but joining you to learn a la cyber-lessons would be an appreciated alternative!

Issy

August 16, 2012 at 6:44 PM  
Blogger English sheep gal said...

Just wondering as it's 'back to school' time, whether you could get some paid work giving lectures etc. I remember you mentioning a few different teachers contacting you about this just as you left the office. Or how about making up some flyers with your website address, and the books you've written to target students on courses at local colleges studying agriculture, fiber arts, creative writing etc. They may be new to the area and not realise your workshops are even available. Could maybe bring in some hay/firewood funds. Hannah

August 16, 2012 at 10:46 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

My friend and I would like to register for the winter Fiddle Camp... can you let me know the details and whether it would be okay to make incremental payments??
Thanks, Andrea

August 17, 2012 at 1:35 PM  
Blogger Crisy said...

Jenna, EEK what is the date for the Words & Wool I can't find it and have to put in for that wkend off?! Thank you!

August 20, 2012 at 9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home