Saturday, August 18, 2012

black out!

Just as I was deep into editing the final parts of my newest book I was overcome with exhaustion and took a nap on the daybed in the living room. When I woke up 20 minutes later to the sound of distant thunder I could sense the lack of electricity instantly. Computer fans and electric hums were off and I realized I didn't hit save. I groaned and rolled over on the day bed, and let a limp arm hang off the edge towards the floor. Gibson licked it from some nest he made in the netherworld and I smiled. I may have a few hours of work to redo, but at least I have a border collie.

The last few days have been so rich in activity and friends I don't think you have the patience to read a post as long as it should be. So I'm writing about the blackout now, and will update you on Brett, Patty, and my day of horsing around later. I also have a goose story about Ryan's great escape and news about the Washington County Fair, Fiddle Camp, and a Kerrits giveaway for all you riders out there so stay tuned! Anyway, back to the blackout:

Power outages are not rare nor do they effect me much. It was still light out so I had enough sense to set out all the oil lamps (only one needed a new wick which I keep in a mason jar in my pantry) and some candles for when I came back. I decided to go down to Common Sense and enjoy their Friday night dinner and meet up with Ajay. He's been down there a while and is leaving this weekend. He's not leaving Washington County though. He's fallen in love with the place and the people and decided he's sticking around and has already lined up a work-for-board job down the road from me. He's excited to start out on his own but bittersweet about leaving the community who he enjoyed living around so much. No one said decisions were easy, and certainly none that have to do with following a dream like owning his own farm. He could stay at Common Sense but it would be a trade of living in a utopian commune for personal freedom. He's too much like me to make the trade so he's setting out to save and work for his own land. I admire his grit.

So I got down to Common Sense and the place was lit up with candles and the last of the natural sunlight. Friday night starts their Sabbath and so everyone was in their best clothes and the cloth tables were set with candles and fresh flowers for the fish and sweet corn dinner. Their gas stove, collected rainwater for toilet flushing, and lack of AC in general made the night seem no different than it did any other Friday. If it was any different, it was just in beauty because the five-alarm post storm sunset mixed with guitars and candlelight and laughing children made it even more dear. I sat out with Ajay on the porch of the mansion and asked him how he felt about all this change? (A proper question in a blackout) He seemed torn.

Today is all about writing and chores and then dinner over at Jon and Maria's place. I'm bringing the salad.

5 Comments:

Blogger daisy said...

Sounds like a delicious (in more ways than one) way to spend an evening unplugged...Enjoy your weekend.

August 18, 2012 at 1:57 PM  
Blogger Monster Librarian said...

Sorry about your chapter, but, who knows--maybe the redo will be even better!

August 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Common Sense ... is that owed by a commune .. if so we have them here in TN :)

Denise in TN

August 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM  
Blogger Roger said...

What is your newest book about?

August 19, 2012 at 4:08 PM  
Blogger Roger said...

What is your newest book about? I just finished reading "Barnheart", and I was very moved by it. Your passion is inspiring, and shows me that even regular folk with no farming connection can end up farming.

August 19, 2012 at 4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home