Friday, October 12, 2012

Battenkill Books Drive Going Strong!

Battenkill Books is my town's small indie bookstore. The first time I walked in there I was with Gibson, then just a puppy. I had recently moved to Jackson and Connie, the proprietor, was behind the desk. I said hello, she gave me a Happy greeting and then Gibson lifted his leg on some fiction. Any normal bookstore owner would have done the reasonable thing of asking me to leave with my dog. Connie shooshed my apologies, grabbed some paper towels and told me not to worry about it. Gibson, and all kind dogs, were welcomed in the store. I decided I would never buy a book at any other store that day.

When barnheart came out, she hosted our launch party and it was a hit. She's done the same for other local authors like Jon Katz, James Howard Kunstler, and Meghan Mayhew Bergman. She cares about her literary community, and because of her and the other authors blogs, outreach, and support all ships rose with her tide. I'm grateful to her, and her store, and to the other authors I listed. Connie is amazing, using a combination of savvy business sense, fierce spirit, and a true love of books—she is an unstoppable force.

It takes some serious brass to open such a business in a town of around 1,800 people.I would like to support my community as much as possible and will be hosting a contest of sorts. If you call up Connie, or email her, and order any signed book by me, Jon, James Howard Kunstler, or Meghan MB—and tell her it is part of the CAF Book Drive then you are entered to win a drawing from my farm and Storey Publishing. Storey will be giving away a basket of homesteading titles and I am giving away a free Season Pass to any events at this farm for a full year. All you need to do is call or email her, and tell her I sent you. You can order Made From Scratch, Barnheart, or Chick Days and I will sign them for you however you like. Gibson will sign them too if you ask (he hasn't peed in there since that first time) and I can assure you other local authors will sign them to your liking as well. It's a great way to stock up on special holiday gifts like a signed edition of Rose in The Storm or World Made By Hand. You just can't beat Washington County Based Fiction!

So if you want to enter for the season pass and a bunch-o-books, call the fine people at the bookstore and order something from a Washington County Author. You get a unique gift signed just for you by the author's hand, and you could win a bunch more. Either way you end up with something special: a handsome book for yourself and the satisfaction in knowing you are both supporting a small, rural business, authors, and a community on the rise.

Me and the whole W.C. Thank you. Except the cows, who do not talk.

Here are the Books Storey has Donated for the winner!
Chick Days (signed)
Barnheart (ditto)
Made from Scratch (ditto)
The Backyard Homestead
The Backyard Homestead Guide to Raising Farm Animals
Chicken Coops: 45 Building Plans for Housing Your Flock
Barnyard Games and Puzzles
The Chicken Encyclopedia: An Illustrated Reference
Root Cellaring
Farm Anatomy



Battenkill Books info:
www.battenkillbooks.com
15 East Main St.
Cambridge, NY 12816
(518) 677-2515
info@battenkillbooks.com
photo by jon katz, who makes meatless pizza

11 Comments:

Blogger Crisy said...

Awesome Jenna the more I read about the area you live in the more I want to relocate (seriously) - It's sounds so Very special! I love bookstores all the way around - I think my brother John would love a new book, I'll call today!

August 31, 2012 at 8:46 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Excellent idea! I love this bookstore and Connie and her mom are so friendly. I only wish they were closer to Ballston Spa. Hmmmmmm....now what book to order?

Cath

August 31, 2012 at 12:06 PM  
Anonymous H said...

Excellent idea; though truthfully, I'll be buying from my own town's indie bookstore. :-)

August 31, 2012 at 1:16 PM  
OpenID meatbagz said...

battenkill books is one of the best places ever. (and it's not just because of their dog-friendly policies, but that's part of it!)

August 31, 2012 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Neat idea!

August 31, 2012 at 2:41 PM  
OpenID dagnygromer said...

I've bought some of Jon Katz's books there, and preordered his new "Dancing with Dogs". Connie is very helpful and friendly. My town no longer has a bookstore that sells new books (we have a used book seller).

August 31, 2012 at 3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will definitly do this tomorrow. Lovely idea!!

Andrea

August 31, 2012 at 9:29 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Done! I sent an order online last night. I love that bookstore, and it will give me an excuse to stop in and pick up the book I ordered, and probably a few more.

September 1, 2012 at 9:18 AM  
Blogger Erika said...

Hey Jenna,

Today I got Chick Days and Too Much Magic. Is submitting a comment here good enough? I just got the pre-signed copies because we decided at the last minute to just drive out for the day.

September 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Finally got around to ordering Chick Days...can't wait!

October 9, 2012 at 10:00 PM  
Blogger TransFarmer said...

just ordered running to the mountain by Jon Katz. Excited to help out a small business.

October 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home