Monday, August 20, 2012

archer

What you see here is my ranking medal as an Archer in the SCA. It means that I have competed in at least three Royal Round Tournaments on three separate days and am listed on the East Kingdom's roll call of archers. This medal was hand-cast in a friend's forge right in his own backyard. The crossed arrows mean I'm part of a very small group inside and even smaller group and it makes me grin like an idiot even golding it. Even though it's the lowest ranking medal there is in the Society, it stands for so much more. This is my first summer on the team and the practices, friends, events, and experience has been wonderful in making me a better archer. I hope to use those skills from the practices to become a proper bow hunter. I might be the only person in Washington County hunting in a blaze orange kilt with a long bow, but I'll be out there. To a select group of men, that's got to be hot.

In other Archery/Society news I was nominated to become a Marshall in Training (MIT) in our Shire. This means I'll be learning how to safely check equipment, run practices, and lead the team in range commands. Not bad for a girl who picked up her first long bow just a few months earlier.

15 Comments:

Blogger artinthegardenstudio said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! :)

August 20, 2012 at 12:51 PM  
Blogger Madcap said...

Indisputable hotness. If I was a man, I would have already offered you a half share in my chicken farm. Good luck Jenna!

August 20, 2012 at 1:08 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Congratulations, well done Jenna. You have every reason to be proud.

August 20, 2012 at 1:35 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Congratulations! That's awesome!

Also, wish you were here to help me string our longbows. I have no idea what to do. We have my husband's late grandfather's bows and have been planning to start archery for the past couple of years. We just need to get them tested and possibly restored, if needed. I might have to make the hour-and-a-half trip to mid-TN to get my brother to help me.

Love the archery posts.:) So happy for you!

August 20, 2012 at 1:55 PM  
Blogger kwdiving said...

Congratulations! When we move, may be you could introduce my boys to archery!?! How you find the time for all you do is amazing!

August 20, 2012 at 1:56 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Good for you!

August 20, 2012 at 2:16 PM  
Blogger Wendy Halliman said...

As a woman who can change a motor, rides her own motorcycle and owns her own power tools, let me say... WOOOOOOT!!! You go girl!!! :D

August 20, 2012 at 2:45 PM  
Blogger DarcC said...

Awesome!

August 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats...but what I love most of all is your unmanicured nails..... speaks to my heart about what a real woman is all about. Blessings on you!

August 20, 2012 at 7:00 PM  
Blogger seagrrlz said...

Congrats!

My GF and I are signed up to take an archery course this fall. It's offered thru the sports and recreation department of our city.cant wait!

August 20, 2012 at 8:44 PM  
Blogger Bran said...

Congrats! That's awesome!

~Brandi

August 20, 2012 at 9:53 PM  
Anonymous Sara said...

At first I wasn't sure if you were completely awesome, but now I am convinced . . .
YOU ARE COMPLETELY AWESOME!

August 21, 2012 at 1:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big Congrats - Question for you. I am yearning to start doing some archery myself, and am wondering what kind of bow to start with. Since I am literally starting from scratch, I went in to a sporting goods store the other day, just to see that they had, start getting an idea of prices, etc. That's when I realized that there is a lot more to this than I realized, what with tension, etc. Would you have any suggestion as to where one would start, or what type of bow is good for a beginner?
Thanks!

August 21, 2012 at 1:31 PM  
Blogger greendria said...

"To a select group of men, that's got to be hot."

Darn, you're funny!!

Thanks for the chuckle!

August 21, 2012 at 1:40 PM  
Blogger Christine Taylor said...

Cool! I've been enjoying your blog for years but I didn't realize you're in the SCA. I'm in Caid. *waves across the country at you*

August 25, 2012 at 1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home