Thursday, December 27, 2012

Come To My Woolly Winter Weekend!

This February the 23rd and 24th will be a winter wool retreat here at the farm. It'll be snowy and cold outside, but even if the weather is frightful there will be a warm pair of woodstoves and fluffy dogs to keep you warm inside the farmhouse. So please, join me in a weekend dedicated to fiber arts. We'll have Saturday entirely focused on sheep and wool. The morning will be about the costs, preparations, and basics of taking on a small spinning flock of sheep in as small a space as a suburban backyard. A pair of Icelandics or Jacobs with a simple wind-proof shed and some field fence can turn any 1/4 acre into a wool production zone. I'll talk about my own sheep, their stories, and how I went from 3 in a rented backyard pen to the snowy hillside breeding flock you'll meet, pet, and see outside the warm windows. Then after lunch we we'll go into washing raw wool by hand, drying it, carding, and spinning with drop spindles and wheels. I'll have a wonderful instructor on hand, Kathryn of NYC to come and teach you the skill with her own wheel and mine. Feel free to bring your own wheels as well and get some hands-on instruction.

So Saturday will be about sheep and wool, and Sunday will be all about knitting. Come and learn even if you don't know which end of your new needles point up. It'll be a day of knitting by the woodstove and enjoying homemade treats. Not as structured as Saturday, but I'll have some skilled teachers on hand to get you started and making fabric out of sheep even if you never did it before. The small goal will be for all of us to learn to wash, card, spin, and knit at some level by the end of the weekend. Come for one day, or both, and enjoy a wintery day at the farm. I'll be working on socks, I can promise you that much!

If you want to sign up, it is $100 for one day, or $160 for the whole weekend. IF you are coming from the city or need a place to stay, here is a list of local Inns and Hotels around Cambridge NY. Email me at jenna@itsafarwalk.com to sign up, or give the workshop as a gift. If you are giving a workshop, season pass, or some combination as a gift let me know and I will mail you a signed copy of one of my books with a written invitation to the person who gets the workshop or season pass as a gift. I thank you again for supporting CAF, all of these workshops are helping prepare me and the farm for winter!

17 Comments:

Blogger MollyKnits said...

Oh gosh! that is worth the trip from Chicago to attend. I desperately want a fiber flock on my suburban homestead. Mmmm, if I take Friday off work, I would have plenty of time to get there. Must seriously think about this.

August 9, 2012 at 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Jennifer said...

I only wish I lived close enough. You are hosting great workshops and coming up with good ideas. Nice work!

August 9, 2012 at 5:33 PM  
Blogger Coley said...

That is so tempting. That my birthday!!

August 9, 2012 at 7:34 PM  
Blogger Coley said...

That is so tempting. That my birthday!!

August 9, 2012 at 7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, how I envy folks who live closer to you!!! I can't come all the way from Alaska, but will be with you in spirit.

P.S. Am I the only one who finds it damn difficult to read the "Prove you are not a robot" letters? Half the time I get them wrong...

August 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really hope I can make it to this one!

-Brandi

August 20, 2012 at 12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really hope I can make it to this one!

-Brandi

August 20, 2012 at 12:09 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Z. said...

Coley - Mine too! We'd love you to come join us. I felt this would be the perfect celebration for my own birthday as well.

-Kathryn from NYC

August 27, 2012 at 3:20 PM  
Blogger Crisy said...

Wanna Go!!!! Gonna try to get a day of overtime!!!

September 11, 2012 at 3:22 PM  
Blogger Crisy said...

Wanna Go!!!! Gonna try to get a day of overtime!!!

September 11, 2012 at 3:22 PM  
Anonymous farmgal said...

Does sound like a great workshop, I was thinking of you today while starting work on a number of horse hair Christmas gifts, I know you always looking for different idea's for seminars ete and that you appear to be quite crafty, might be something to consider.

September 11, 2012 at 6:15 PM  
OpenID peihome said...

Wow, I wish I could send my husband down to you. He's the one that wants to do something with our flock's wool... from scratch.
As for myself, I am so fumble-fingered I've yet to knit a decent row!
Looks like a great workshop!

September 12, 2012 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger Linden said...

I wish you lived in Alaska so I could attend events like this. (I would never wish to live in NY!)

I, too, find it hard to read, and often get wrong, the Prove you are not a Robot letters. Very annoying.

September 12, 2012 at 7:28 PM  
Blogger Kootenay said...

To those who have a hard time with"captchas"- you can refresh. I often find the second or third set easier.

December 5, 2012 at 5:47 PM  
Blogger Debra Fox said...

I contacted one of the houses through your link. 1847 guest house is closed until May,2013

December 6, 2012 at 12:25 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I would love to have a webinar made from this workshop.

December 27, 2012 at 10:24 AM  
Blogger Patsy said...

Jenna, what is the name of all of your sheep? I know Maude, Joseph, Monday but I don't the names of the rest of them.

December 27, 2012 at 11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home