Friday, August 10, 2012

a note about emails

Friends,

I am very very overwhelmed right now and can't keep up with emails. Sometimes (twice this week) folks emailed me to follow up on older emails and said they were hurt I did not respond. All my lack of response means is I didn't get to the email yet. I try to respond to as many as possible but often I have to prioritize emails for workshops and sponsors above conversational, advice, and barter request emails. I don't mean it as disrespectful, I appreciate all letters sent or shared. It is simply a matter of not enough time. It's only 4:40PM and I have received 324 emails today. About 30 are folks saying hello or asking advice (thank you, by the way)and the rest are blog comments to approve, emails from sponsors and workshop attendees, friends and family, and things like bills and company mailing lists. Between the farm, the book hitting the deadline, and planning for winter and expenses I am just behind, more so then ever before. I just ask for understanding and patience. If I don't respond, please send it again. If I don't respond to the resend, send it again! I am doing my level best.

-j

6 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

I've sent a couple you haven't responded to, but I don't mind. I tend to not respond to some just from not checking my email often (not from the volume like you have) - so I get it. I've just sent them again if I felt they were important or it was something I wanted you to know. I have writer friends and the volume of emails they have to sift through is shocking, just from editing/publishing alone. Do what you need to do. You have a farm and a life to run! :)

August 10, 2012 at 5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JENA - PEOPLE WILL JUST HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT THERE ARE ONE OF YOU AND AT PRESENT 324 OF US - I DO NOT KNOW HOW YOU DO AS WELL AS YOU DO IN KEEPING ALL THAT YOU HAVE GOING - I ENJOY YOU AND DO NOT EXPECT YOU TO COMMENT AND HOPE THAT OTHERS WILL BE AS UNDERSTANDING - SINCE I LIVE IN GEORGIA AND WILL NOT BE COMING TO ANY WORKSHOPS OR HAVE ANY BUSINESS WITH YOU I SHOULD NOT EXPECT YOU TO STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND HAVE A CONVERSATION WITH ME - I READ YOUR BLOG BECAUSE I ENJOY IT AND YOU GIVE ME A GLIMPSE OF WHAT IT IS LIKE IN OTHER AREAS OF THE COUNTRY AND THAT IS WONDERFUL - KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK - AND THANKS A BUNCH - AND YA'LL PLEASE BE PATIENT -

August 10, 2012 at 6:04 PM  
Blogger Jenetta said...

Jena,

You should get a virtual assistant to help at least with the blog comment moderation. I know you probably couldn't pay in cash, but if you'd be willing to pay in beeswax, soap, wool, etc. I would love to offer my services. E-mail me if I've peaked your interested. :)

August 10, 2012 at 9:58 PM  
Blogger cheri said...

It must be so difficult to keep up with everything and you are doing wonderfully well. Maybe if you had an automatic response set up on your email server that might help people who are "hurt". A virtual assistant is a great idea too. Especially if it is paid for in kind.

August 11, 2012 at 8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same as Jenetta said.

I read your blog, checking in a few times a day.

I have some extra time that I would love to use to help out.

No cash, no problem. I love the barter idea!

Andrea

August 11, 2012 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger Fernleaf said...

Hang in there Jenna! I can't imagine how you keep up with it all. And I apologize for adding another e-mail to the pile...

August 12, 2012 at 3:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home