Tuesday, July 17, 2012

unrelated paragraphs

One of the biggest changes since leaving my office gig has been my attitude towards cleanliness. The house is cleaner than it has ever been, but my showering goes days between soap ups. before you cringe in your desk chair, here is why: rivers and rain. Last night a storm came through while practicing at a target in my backyard and I got soaked. I mean SOAKED. My motto: when you are falling, dive! So I took off my kilt and shirt, and sat down in the rain behind my house. I think it was my first ever time on green grass naked in the rain. Talk about a real shower... It was bliss. I got totally cleaned off from sweat and grime and went to bed content as a tired coyote. You could hear me purr from route 22.

The first crop of fiddles came to my door today. Five large boxes of Cremona Student models were waiting, each with their own case, bow, and rosin cake inside. I opened one up and felt as excited for its new owner as I was the first time I held my own fiddle. I got the bridge set up, the strings in tune, and rosined the bow and was thrilled at the quality of it. Compared to my first fiddle these were museum pieces. The long strokes of the bow were sweet after a day driving to Albany in a truck without air conditioning. 97 degrees and farm work I am okay with. 97 degrees and Albany I am not. I never was that into concrete and volume.

Hot days this week. I spend them all farming, writing, riding, shooting arrows and running. This place is a medieval boot camp, but I am feeling the healthiest I have felt in months. I got my highest score of the summer at the last team practice, double what I started with. It's amazing seeing what a few months of practice can teach the body and mind. Now when I aim an arrow, it matters.

Merlin and I train nearly every day. He and I made some progress today thanks to a garbage truck, but that's another story. We will ride on. If he think he can out-stubborn me he's got the wrong girl.

Storms on the way, followed by fireflies. I am ready for the barn.

14 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

Jenna, Wow, the rain must have been warm! Working with Merlin every day will help both of you make progess quickly. You know how horses need that the frequent training to learn a task well.

July 17, 2012 at 10:38 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

Your life is so full of blessings that it glimmers, glows, vibrates, and quakes. Thanks for sharing it with us.

July 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM  
Blogger Jenny Glen said...

I'm the opposite. I can enjoy the dirt of the day's work if I can climb in the bath at night and wash it off before I relax in bed.

July 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM  
Blogger Joleen said...

I bet you wonder how you ever had time to work at the office! Life is so full of good things now. I'm happy for you.

July 17, 2012 at 11:35 PM  
Blogger City Girl said...

Showering in the rain - I love it!

July 17, 2012 at 11:59 PM  
Blogger Karen Rickers said...

OMG, talk about an environmental shower! That must have felt incredible. Child of Nature Jenna!

July 18, 2012 at 6:54 AM  
Anonymous janet said...

When we first moved here about 25 years ago, we had no well - just a privy attached to a derelict barn - and bought a membership at the pool in a hotel quite a distance away, which was a pain since it was so far. When it rained, my daighter and I grabbed soap and shampoo and rushed outside naked to shower - what a great feeling!

July 18, 2012 at 8:25 AM  
Blogger cheri said...

The best shower I ever had was on an island in the middle of the Lake Victoria in Uganda. There was no running water or electricity. The shower was a bag of water heated on the camp fire and hung in the trees. Getting naked in the middle of a forest is the most wonderful feeling.

July 18, 2012 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Ah, I needed this today. Sounds like bliss. Very exciting about the fiddles arriving! Can't wait for the camp!

July 18, 2012 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

I've only had one true nature shower in my life and it was glorious!! That's the way it's meant to be.:)

July 18, 2012 at 6:11 PM  
Blogger Sue Steeves said...

I have not showered in the rain since I was a teenager.....what a liberating experience. Good on you!

July 18, 2012 at 7:11 PM  
Blogger Carol G said...

Good thing you didn't have any unexpected visitors! I could just see the look on the face of one of your neighbors who stopped by for a brief chat...!

July 18, 2012 at 8:20 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Sounds absolutely wonderful!

July 18, 2012 at 10:41 PM  
Blogger FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

A mother nature shower -- might try it sometime myself -- I bet you did purr that night -- barbara

July 22, 2012 at 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home