Thursday, July 5, 2012

sky flowers

There was no chance I was going to be able to stay up for any fireworks display last night. Not if you bribed me with a pair of Percherons in harness. I was beat. The day had started around 4AM and sang on until just past dusk, when the fireflies danced around the barn and the crows stopped their conversations. Ajay told me earlier in the day that a movie he liked called fireworks Sky Flowers. I like that.

I think the main reason I was sacked was because my day started at 4AM, a bit earlier than usual. Othniel and Ajay, down at Common Sense Farm needed a truck to take to the Albany Wholesale Produce Market at 6AM. Othniel buys food from local farmers he doesn't grow at his farm stand like watermelons, and also gets wholesale orders of food for the 70+ member households at Common Sense's Commune. As you can imagine, we got a lot of food. 150 pounds of new potatoes, 2 large boxes of bananas, 50 pounds of onions, melons, berries and more. It was quite the haul.

By the time I got them home to their day jobs, it was time to get back to mine. Holidays aren't as important to dairy goats with full udders and chickens waiting for feed. I did the usual morning chores, fed Monday, and lead the hoofstock in pasture to the new horse paddock to concentrate their eating where I needed it. If the sheep eat down the high grasses in that confined spot I can see the ground and woodchuck holes even better so I can fill them all in before Merlin arrives in a few days.

Soon as the work was done, I fell into a short but beloved power-nap, about 30 minutes of hard sleep that I meant, really meant. I needed it. A three hour round-trip and a morning's work takes it out of you. Soon as I woke up I took out the dogs for a short walk, fed Monday again, and packed my swimsuit and towels for a Fourth of July celebration over at Livingston Brook Farm.

Mark and Patty are one of six landowners on a 25-acre lake a half mile behind their house. We paddled a canoe loaded with floaties and adult beverages and spent over an hour swimming in the clean, deep lake water by a floating dock. Neighbors joined us and it was a magical time out there on this private island of floating wood in the middle of a tiny wilderness. Great herons and red tailed hawks flew around us or fished on the sides of the water. We talked, laughed, and worked on our farmers tans. If my skin color was an ice cream flavor, I was going from a twist to Neapolitan that day. All my skin was bright white or dark brown. I was hoping for a little strawberry on my pasty legs that sunny day...

I left their farm around 5:30, and drove straight down route 22 into the town of Cambridge. Just past the single traffic light in my town is the Common Sense Farm stand and Ajay was out sitting in a chair hammock with Navid. I knew Navid from his help cleaning out the goat pen the day before with Ajay and decided to stop by. I ended up spending an hour on their wooden farm stand's porch, playing my banjo and lost in conversation. Ajay looked tired too, but already fitter, tanner and happier than I have ever seen him. He was all smiles. So was I.

I got home around 7, milked and chored, and came inside for a quick dinner and a cold drink. It was a holiday to remember, even without the sky flowers.

P.S. My new fiddle arrives today! Not as old or fancy as the one I gave away on the blog, but it is an acoustic/electric combo instrument from Silver Creek and I am excited to have a fiddle again!

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Sounds like a fun day, even without the skyflowers! I just recently acquired my grandads fiddle. He has been gone for 16 years and I didn't even know he played!!! It's a precious treasure to me and I'm having alot of fun screeching out songs LOL!!!Congrats on your new fiddle!!!!

July 5, 2012 at 11:06 AM  
Blogger redbird said...

Got to love that Neapolitan look for all it represents… means you’re living, not gaining it artificially or lounging in a lawn chair in a swim suit all day. Of course, if you lived a little farther off the road you could farm in the nude and even it all out.

Sounds like a heavenly 4th for sure. Yay for the fiddle!

July 6, 2012 at 11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home