Wednesday, July 25, 2012

night in the 'toga

Spent last night doing something out of the ordinary. I went out to Saratoga with a friend for dinner, and after my amazing meal at Hattie's, walked the city streets. The racing season just started and the historic track just a few blocks from the heart of the city was humming. The energy from the days races spilled over into the town. Tourists and race fans from all over were in milling about, filling up restaurants and swaggering down the street. I loved it, the whole scene. (I rarely get to wait for pedestrian walking signs anymore.) The whole night in the city was a bit of a fairy tale. A tale that started with southern cooking and ended with three shooting stars seen from the view of a hot tub. What a way to end a Tuesday.

As for this sunny Wednesday, I'm about to get back in the saddle for the first time since Dave was here to work with Merlin and I. I'm nervous about it, because going out alone is always harder, at least mentally. With out another person there I lose a lot of confidence, and second guess myself. But I keep remembering that Merlin is my horse, and this is our partnership and all the friends watching or taking videos do not alter the communication between us. I'll get on his back, and do my best, and hopefully report back with progress, even if was hard won.

8 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Hi Jenna.
"I'm nervous about it, because going out alone is always harder, at least mentally. With out another person there I lose a lot of confidence, and second guess myself. But I keep remembering that Merlin is my horse, and this is our partnership..."

I can really relate to this with my new horse. I don't know that I am nervous, but certainly hesitant. My new horse (at least to me) is huge at 16 hands and still growing. I've ridden him on the road, through the water, past barking dogs-but that was in his previous home. We have to learn to do this together here in our home now. He is so powerful and yet gentle. The whole challenge is in my mind (as it likely is with you) and am hoping today to have the same kind of ride you had with Merlin-short, positive and planned out in advance. I have to remind myself I was a bit like this with my other horse when I got him and now I think of him as my "steady Eddie" and have a great time with him.

Lisa in Maine

July 25, 2012 at 2:27 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Lisa, I totally understand. I rode Merlin across washington county with steele and patty at her farm, but riding alone here at my place is a whole new game. Just make small goals and work up to them. I was only on Merlins back 15 minutes today, tops, but it was all pleasant. That's how I'm starting

July 25, 2012 at 2:34 PM  
Blogger greendria said...

Great attitude, Jenna

July 25, 2012 at 3:36 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hi Jenna.
I had a good ride! Lots of ground work first-saddling-a little more groundwork-and off we went. I must have ridden 45-60 minutes and I am pooped! My new horse has more "knowledge" than I in that he can side pass, pivot either end, and I'm sure many other things I don't know about. I'm not yet advanced enough in my riding to correctly ask for all that he can do-so I focus on basics for now. My challenge is to remember to think positively and focus on thinking through the ride and being the one driving! After the ride, some more groundwork-desensitizing to the dreaded tarp! I recovered my strength from all of this "equestrian exertion" with a big bowl of popcorn and a long sit on something that isn't moving!!!!
Lisa in Maine

July 25, 2012 at 6:59 PM  
Blogger Ivanhoe said...

Love the portrait of the bustling town after the races! It reminds me of those Thoroughbred books I devoured as a child. There's a racetrack in the nearest big city from here, perhaps I should visit it again!

July 25, 2012 at 7:54 PM  
Blogger Ivanhoe said...

Love the portrait of the bustling town after the races! It reminds me of those Thoroughbred books I devoured as a child. There's a racetrack in the nearest big city from here, perhaps I should visit it again!

July 25, 2012 at 7:54 PM  
Blogger Erika said...

Awww man you should've headed over to the balcony of the Adelphi for Beer and Knit! We meet there on Tuesday nights.

July 25, 2012 at 10:18 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Glad you had a good time in my fair city. I was born and raised in Saratoga and even with all the changes I still love it.

July 26, 2012 at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home