Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I have a headache this morning...

I was told to meet at Patty and Mark's farm by 5 o'clock sharp. I didn't know why, it was a surprise. They emphasized the sharp part, too. (I'm not known for my perfect timing.) But I managed to make it on time and even managed to gussy up into a dress, mascara, styled hair and lipstick. It had been a while since I'd had the occasion to do so and it felt great. Some times all a gal needs is a dress.

We ended up going up to Lake George to eat at a steakhouse and guess who the surprise was? Brett! He drove down from Lake Placid and had a gift bag in hand. So what does a lumberjack get a girl for her birthday? A tree of course. He handed me a fraser fir and explained he always planted a tree on his birthday, it was a tradition.

It was great to see him, and share a meal with everyone at that table. We all ate enough to make puma's envious and I learned how many cosmopolitans was too many. Such a great night. I am so lucky to have this happy pack of wolves around me, and today I get to ride my horse. I'm a little nervous, this is the first time riding him alone outside of the lesson barn, but I am going to do it. We've ridden together for months now and my instructors, friends, and Patty and Steele will be there in spirit. It's a big step for me, that first ride together here.

In other good news, my health insurance application through Empire Medical was approved! So I now have hospital and dental coverage. That was a choice I made when I left Orvis, to apply for state emergency medical care. What that means is if there is any sort of trauma, farm accident, riding accident, car accident, or any sort of reason I end up in the hospital, my bills are covered. It includes things like x-rays and hospital tests and some basic primary care like an annual physical. It's not perfect and it isn't as good as my corporate plan that included prescriptions and vision, but it sure beats nothing. I got both plans through eHealthinsurance.com (which was recommended to me from a blog reader, thank you!) which doesn't sell insurance itself, it just is a venue to get the self employed and uninsured in touch with local plans and programs in your state. Kind of like how Lendingtree.com isn't a bank, but it connects you to them. Anyway, I suggest it to anyone thinking about self employment. My health and dental plans are $175 a month, combined. Not bad.

And since my mother worries: Mom, I didn't go a single day without insurance. My corporate plan ended the last day of June and my current plan started retroactively July 1st! I'm on it, and don't worry.

7 Comments:

Blogger seagoddess said...

ha ha re: your mom worrying about health insurance -- mine does, too. I have something similar thru a hospital here - so thankful for it because I can't afford my non-profit company's health plans!

July 11, 2012 at 7:25 AM  
Blogger Megan, Rudy's mom said...

Thanks for the link. My parents worry too. I do sports and accidents can happen. Now I can decide what to do at least this is a starting point!

July 11, 2012 at 9:59 AM  
Blogger The Sprouting Acorn said...

when I first started reading this post, i thought 5 a.m. -- damn, girl! in a dress, make-up, hair done and ready for.... breakfast? hahahahaha. glad you enjoyed your evening.

July 11, 2012 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Sounds like a stellar evening Ms. Jenna :) Hope you got a birthday kiss! *wink* Glad also you are covered insurance wise for a reasonable amount..I myself, used that service and I agree, it's great to have all your options in one place to choose from~
Just curious...how were the boys when you got home?

July 11, 2012 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger Noël said...

Sounds like a fun night. Except for the headache causing cosmopolitans. ;) Hope you had a fantastic birthday! And I am loving all the videos of Monday. Such a cutie!!!

July 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

I thought you meant 5am too, lol, I was thinking, man, I don't think I could eat steak that early... duh.

July 11, 2012 at 8:44 PM  
Blogger Brenda London said...

Now, one thing to be careful about with your plan. As soon as you suffer an accident, get medical care within hours. We had a plan like yours, covered emergency medical care, hospital, er, etc, but when my husband suffered an accident, car rolled over on black ice on Bald Mtn Rd, he refused medical care for 2 days, the ice storm was still raging and he would not travel(and of course he refused to have anyone call 911 and have to have rescuers go out in the ice storm, typical old stubborn farmer!!) Consequently, both car insurance as well as the emergency plan we had refused to cover his bills. Unfortunately he was also left with a chronic neck injury. So, don't try and be brave, if you feel injured in any way at all, get to a walk in clinic at least.

July 11, 2012 at 11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home