Sunday, July 15, 2012

Drunk Rabbit (serves 5)

To make a satisfying rabbit dinner for up to five people, follow this easy recipe I created last night. It is an adaptation of a meal Patty Wesner cooked for Ajay and I a few weeks ago, but a little less refined. It still tastes great and makes a hearty meal for ladies and lumberjacks alike.

Ingedients
1 rabbit (2-3 pounds, fryer sized)
a bunch of garden carrots
1 tall can of Guinness
1/2 stick of butter
1/2 cup of olive oil
garlic salt
package of egg noodles
pepper to taste
flour (for thickening meat broth)

Place your rabbit in the crockpot, the whole thing (bones and all) and cover it with the can of draught and the 1/2 cup of oil. Place carrots all around it and sprinkled some garlic salt over it. Set it on low for a few hours (4 here) until the meat is falling off the bone. You are almost done!

Remove the meat from the bone and set bones aside for broth/compost/chicken treats. Place meat back in the juicy beer broth and add your 1/2 stick of butter and a bit of flour to create a creamy texture, like a gravy to your rabbit stew. When you've added enough flour to make your sauce more like said gravy, you did it. You just made some drunk rabbit stew.

You can scoop it into bowls and enjoy it with some crusty bread or, do like the Wesners do, and boil some egg noodles and serve it like a form of farm house stroganoff. If I serve it over egg noodles, I always add butter and garlic salt to the noodles before I serve rabbit over them.

Enjoy!

6 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

That sounds amazing... The rabbit in our freezer meets its destiny.

July 15, 2012 at 7:31 AM  
Blogger seagrrlz said...

Sounds good. I'll have to try it. I like making a rabit stew with a full complement of veggies and adding a thick biscuit crust.

July 15, 2012 at 7:56 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

Ok, I need some rabbits now.

July 15, 2012 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger singinggardengirl said...

Sounds great! Is there a trick to getting out all those tiny little bones?

July 15, 2012 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger Mare said...

Sounds delicious! I can almost smell it!

July 15, 2012 at 9:48 PM  
OpenID rawketstarling said...

Jenna--your posts on rabbits for meat have made me start to seriously consider eating rabbit as another form of protein in my life. This recipe--especially the stroganoff part--sounds amazing! However, I'm still hesitant. I'm thinking I'll see if anyone at my farmer's market (Austin, TX woot woot!) sells rabbit meat. I like the IDEA of adding meat rabbits to my backyard homestead, if I like the meat, and you're definitely making me think about it!

July 16, 2012 at 11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home