Saturday, November 24, 2012

Want to Learn to Play the Fiddle?
Only 2 Spots Left!

Due to the amazing successof Fiddle Camp I have decided to add a second camp for the winter! It will be Feb. 9th and 10th, a Saturday and Sunday. A chance for people who couldn't make it to the summer camp, or just need more time for travel plans. Since no one will be out in the backyard sleeping in tents "camp" seems like a bad name so I'm calling it the Fiddler's Winter Rendezvous. This one will be only for half the amount people and held indoors here in the farmhouse, but remain the same in spirit!

The Rendezvous will be the same 2 days of instruction for the absolute beginner fiddler. You'll come knowing nothing, not even how to hold a fiddle upright, and leave playing music. You have a 100% guarantee from me. I promise that anyone with any musical ability (or none at all) can come knowing nothing and leave with a song in them and the skills to learn more. You'll learn to teach yourself the beloved mountain reels, aires, gospel and folk songs of the American South. I supply the violin: set up, and ready to play, and you just supply yourself and the text book.

So why put off your dreams folks? Why just listen to those fiddles on the country station and Allison Krauss cds. Start making your own music and do it with a community of support and other adult beginners around you. Spend two days here in beautiful Washington County while the farm is wrapped in winter white and the hotel and Inn rates are cheap! You'll arrive here at the farmhouse mid morning and we'll start with the basics and get you acquainted with your instrument and then spend the rest of the weekend going through the method of learning my ear and touch, the way people learned in the mountains, so that within a few weeks of practice you'll not only be able to hear a favorite song on the car radio, but figure it out on your fiddle too.

The cost for the fiddle, Rendezvous t-shirt (featuring an antlered fiddle), and two days of instruction is $350 a person. It costs a lot less if you bring your own fiddle. But basically, you can come with nothing and leave a fiddler. And if any of you are looking for a Christmas Present from your darling spouse, this could be the one to remember. Learn an instrument, support a scrappy farm, add music to the world.

Proceeds of this event go directly into firewood and lumber purchases for the farm: firewood to heat the place this winter and lumber to build the walls on the pony barn so Jasper and Merlin have some solid 3-sided protection from the north country winter!

10 Comments:

Blogger Brenda London said...

I'll keep checking up on this when you get a date, sounds like a great gift for my husband.

July 31, 2012 at 11:20 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Hi Jenna, I'm very interested in the Fiddle Rendevouz for this winter... Could you let me know the timing of when you're thinking?

Also, where are you located? My family has a house in Conesville, NY (Schoharie County) and I'm thinking maybe I could stay there but I'm not sure if it is too far.

By the way... I love your blog, your writing style, and the fact that you share your ambitions as well as your setbacks and how you cope... Thanks! Andrea

July 31, 2012 at 11:56 AM  
Blogger sara amber said...

Hey, lady! What are the dates for this one? I'm still upset that I can't make the August one and it would be awesome to hang out again!

July 31, 2012 at 12:53 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Sara you don't need a fiddle camp to hang out, just pick a weekend to visit sometime!



Folks, it is Feb 9th and 10th!

July 31, 2012 at 4:42 PM  
Blogger sara amber said...

Jenna - you make an awesome point. I'll be in touch!

July 31, 2012 at 5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, anyway you could record fiddle camp and post it here. I'd love to learn but can't afford to fly there and leave my kids.

August 9, 2012 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger Chautauqua said...

This is for anyone "on the fence" about attending ... I was at the August Fiddle Camp and absolutely loved it. Best time ever. And .... now that I'm home, I can play three songs, do scales, starting to add shuffles to some beginner tunes ...
A whole new world opened up, thanks to Jenna and her Fiddle Camp. I recommend it most highly!

Trish

September 4, 2012 at 6:25 PM  
Anonymous Susan said...

Jenna, it'll be summer before I could attend a function, but I'd really like to make a "downpayment" now on something in the future... Would you be open to that? Thx.

September 14, 2012 at 8:09 PM  
Blogger ysmeine said...

Wish I could come. I have a violin and the book you recommended, but feel I need a person to help me feel comfortable getting started.

November 16, 2012 at 4:47 PM  
Blogger Robin Johnston said...

I love your fiddler camp idea, enough that I posted your offer on MY blog as well. Maybe I will come into enough money to come take fiddling lessons from you, Jenna!

Come and see my blog if you get a chance.

http://mypinkyfinger.blogspot.com/2012/11/this-is-what-i-would-like-for-christmas.html

November 20, 2012 at 1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home