Monday, July 23, 2012

always by my side

Gibson and I are always together. We've never spent a night apart, and even when I worked in an office he came with me. He's been with me since he was 8 weeks old, the night I drove him home from the Albany Airport in my old orange Ford pickup. He knows no life but Cold Antler Farm, and spends his days being the kind of dog other dogs can only see in television commercials. He is barely ever on a leash, listens to me at conversation tones and speech, and never leaves my side at a party. He's welcome everywhere I go in my small town—Battenkill Books, the Alexander's hardware store, my bank, the Battenkill river for a swim—he is welcome too.

I should write more about Gibson. He's grown into an amazing dog and my closest friend. I don't know if we'll ever step into a herding trial field together, but he certainly works this farm. He helps me catch chickens, gather sheep, contain lambs, and keeps me warm on cold nights. He rides along in the truck, smiles all the time, and just a look at him and I beam.

Border Collies aren't for everyone, but they are mine.

9 Comments:

Blogger bree said...

Gibson sounds like the kind of dog everyone dreams of. He is certainly a lucky pup and you are one lucky woman too! I am raising a wild seven month old hound mix. I seem to always choose the wild ones. I envy you!

July 23, 2012 at 9:04 AM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Gibson looks adorable! How lovely is to have a friend as Gibson...

July 23, 2012 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger daisy said...

Such a hard-working and loveable pup.

July 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger Rosie said...

Lucky dog, Gibson. I love my border collie pup Tessa. She is a smart one and I am amazed at the intelligence of a BC. But I think it takes working with them as well and thinking like a dog to get them to understand what you want.

July 23, 2012 at 1:35 PM  
Blogger Mary Schroeder said...

A good dog is more than just an obedient one. Its one that touches your soul.

July 23, 2012 at 1:49 PM  
Blogger Moose Hollow Farm said...

I got a border collie pup when I was 4 years old and I had her until she passed away at 14. She was the best dog that I ever had or ever knew. We were inseparable. She was so loyal and smart that she would walk to our bus stop at the same time every afternoon to meet our bus. My mother would see her leave the yard at the same time every day and walk about 1/2 mile down the dirt road and wait at the same spot until the bus got there. She was so happy to see my brother & I. I may just get myself another border collie soon ~ they are the best.

July 23, 2012 at 4:04 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Working dogs are one of life's greatest, honest joys. Pity the lonely people who will never understand.

Proud of you Gibson - that'll do :)

July 23, 2012 at 8:42 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I would love it if you wrote more about Gibson! I will likely never own a border collie, nor stock to work with a dog, but I'm a total nerd for reading about dogs doing their work. Well, I'm a total nerd for reading about dogs.

I've only every known one Border Collie, and she was an in-home kind of gal. Misty's work was the Frisbee, nothing else.

July 23, 2012 at 10:14 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Awwww I just love Gibson... He's such a schnoodle! (that's with a Swedish accent btw lol) im glad you two have each other and you both make me smile~

July 23, 2012 at 11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home