Tuesday, June 26, 2012

watch your feet, dropping updates!

Monday the ram lamb is scamping along. He's on that bottle, but already nibbling grass and enjoying fresh water too. He's doing great, and becoming the farm's unofficial mascot. I think I'll bring him to the event at Hubburd Hall this Friday. I hope some of you will make it, a free screening of the incredibly important documentary The Greenhorns, right here in Cambridge.

Francis, the new yearling doe with a buckling name (that is how she rolls) had a weird limp last week. Soon as I noticed it I went in with hoof trimmers and inspected the foot. Besides a little growth in the hoof on all of her feet nothing seemed weird or off. She limped another day and I decided to check again and give her a bit of Penicillin as a Just In Case. I cleaned her foot with soapy water to get an even better look. Nothing was wrong, not in touch or smell or anything? The next day it was still there and I called Yesheva to check it out, my goat mentor from Common Sense Farm. She saw the same thing I did (nothing at all) and agreed with the Pro-Pen G shot. It lasted two days and then she stopped limping. I can only guess it was a sore or pulled muscle or a light sprain. Maybe Bonita butted her? Maybe she got it stuck on a fence wire? Maybe she took up Salsa dancing and this was the inevitable fallout due to the fact she's a goat. The world will never know, but my goat is healed. Glory Be!

Bonita is kicking out a little less than a gallon a day. When the Daugton's came by this morning for a pre-slaughter road trip brunch (we both had trucks with livestock to deliver to local harvester Ben Shaw after breakfast) those boys lit up like firecrackers at the offer of cold chocolate goat milk. They used it to wash down their egg and goat milk quiche filled with kale and spinach from the garden. It was a hit. Ian was proud to tell me about the successful mating of his meat rabbits, animals from my farm and Meg Paska's Brooklyn Homestead litter. He has his calendar marked for nest boxes and kindling. He's a natural farmer, that kid. He shouldn't be in 4-H, he should run it.

On the way home from Ben Shaw's farm, I stopped at Tractor Supply and got all the t-posts, field fence, t-post toppers and somesuch for the big fencing day Friday. If anyone wants to come build fences let me know, it'll be an early morning (starting around 5:30 AM), but both Brett and I welcome the help! And when the fences, gate, and ground is cleared of holes and debris I will be ready for the arrival of Merlin. An event so important to me, to bring him home and have him outside my window every day. He belongs here, and will be ridden as often as possible, worked too. I am going to ask my neighbors across the street if I can ride their ATV trails early before they would ever use them, perhaps I will have a nice trail just a few feet from my front door? A girl can hope, eh?

Jasper is a spitfire and being worked twice a week. He's willing in harness, but channels Dennis Leary in every other aspect of life and work.

Ajay was dropped off at Common Sense Farm around lunch and was thrilled with the mansion, the people, the work, and the farm. They were ready for him early and so I took him there and stuck around for a meal with my friends. I'll check in on him all the time, and hope to see him at the movie Friday, too. Brett will be here soon to talk fencing and horse paddocks. I'm trying to get him to get another horse, a matched Haflinger named Milt I have been watching on Craigslist for him.

Jazz is mostly solid. His coat and eyes are failing him, but he is generally active and smiling. Annie is the same as ever, smiling and food lovin' - Gibson starts herding lessons again soon and I bought an Aled Owen video for farm dog training as well. Progress comes as it comes. G and I are in no race to learn. I can say he may not be any trial dog, but every day he works on this farm. He brings sheep, helps me capture chickens, protects Monday, and terrorized Thor the rooster, whom I despise and worry I may eat out of spite.

Also, Expect a webinar (woolcentric) and more Birchthorn soon!

10 Comments:

Blogger Meredith said...

How I adore your family at Cold Antler. Give Jazz a good rub behind the ears for me!
Looking forward to more Birtchthorn!!

June 26, 2012 at 6:02 PM  
OpenID domesteading said...

Oh my gosh, this post had me giggling the whole way through. Salsa-dancing goats and ponies channeling Dennis Leary and despised roosters destined for coq au vin! Ha!

June 26, 2012 at 6:49 PM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

Your post-corporate life is really panning out! Every post you write makes me yearn for work that I enjoy and look forward to everyday, whether it be farm-centric or other. Thank you for sharing your life!

June 26, 2012 at 8:32 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

Birchthorn! Woolcentric workshops and webinars! young farmers! Merlin! Yes to all of the above.

June 26, 2012 at 8:41 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

wooo, I was just wondering about Jazz and Birchthorn earlier today! Yay for updates.

June 26, 2012 at 8:49 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Wow. I still cannot wait to see Jasper and Merlin together. Exciting! Also, all of these updates made me curious about the cats - since I'm a cat person. How are the felines doing?

June 26, 2012 at 9:36 PM  
Anonymous Dianne @ My Southern Heart said...

Thanks for the newsy post! As I scrolled down, I was actually wondering when we'd read more BIRCHTHORN and there it was! I'll look forward to that. I STILL think you should publish it as a novel! ;-)

June 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM  
Blogger Sue Steeves said...

Jasper is a spitfire and being worked twice a week. He's willing in harness, but channels Dennis Leary in every other aspect of life and work.

------LOVE IT!--------

As a Jersey girl who developed a crush on Dennis Leary at the age of 14 and it is still going strong at 31 I thank you for such a glorious laugh!!!!!

Gotta love those kinds of boys ;)

June 27, 2012 at 12:46 PM  
Blogger Jenny Glen said...

Aled Owen's dvd is really good - another one to try is Faansie Basson's.

June 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM  
Blogger Jenny Glen said...

Oh, also - not to toot my husband's horn, but his last webinar series is just at your level. You missed the Q & A but you can still watch the videos, and read the questions and watch the homework.
http://www.sheepdogtrainingcourses.com/the-young-dog-with-scott-glen/

June 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home