Friday, June 15, 2012

Today: a barn starts

This here is a $288 pile of pine boards. It was delivered yesterday by the fine folks at Windy Hill Sawmill and it is resting in this whorey, Not-Brett-Approved pile in the grass. I'm waiting for the Lumberjack to get here and show me how to build a pony shed for the horses. I bartered three ewes and Atlas the ram for his help, and when he leaves Sunday he'll have a starter flock and I'll have a pony home for Merlin and Jasper (Future BFFs).

We might even get the fence and gates up today, too, if all goes as planned. Brett's coming down from the Lake Placid area to help teach and demonstrate his chicken tractor building skills for tomorrow's Meat Bird workshop. But today isn't about chickens, it is about horses, and we are going to turn this pile of wood into a frame and rafters and tin roof. I did buy the wood but we are salvaging roofing from around the farm, from old scrap piles. I already got the site prepped with the help of the Daughton Boys who dug the post holes and helped level the stone wall and brush hog the fenceline.

I have a feeling it is going to be a long day, and it starts now with running to the post office to pick up 50 Freedom Ranger chicks with Gibson.

I used to be leaving for the office right about now, just a year ago I worked every Friday. Now I am jumping in the truck again, but to spend the day working in the sun building a few horses a condo and transporting boxes of poultry. I am happy with how things are working out.

Here's to a weekend of friends, fowl, hammers, lumber, and the occasional flying arrow or two!

15 Comments:

Blogger daisy said...

Sounds like a productive day. Enjoy all the learnin'!

June 15, 2012 at 8:36 AM  
Anonymous Nika said...

Have a great weekend, Jenna. I will be 30 minutes to the east-northeast of Montpelier assisting at Wisdom of the Herbs School. Fresh air, mountains, streams, nature - can't go wrong.

June 15, 2012 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Can't wait for updates! Have a great day!

June 15, 2012 at 9:27 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

So very exciting! Can't wait to see it all unfold. :)

June 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM  
Anonymous Rachel said...

Came across your book in the library the other day. I live smack dab in the middle of Manhattan but have always had that dream of a farm. Having just seen Death of a Salesman I thought of Biff's dream of working out on a farm when I read about you...daydreaming in the office. I this it is SO awesome that you've done this. You are part of a greater movement...going back to the land, more sustainable living, and following your dreams against the pull of corporate america and all its lures of wealth and glory (which never seems to make ANYONE happy)

June 15, 2012 at 10:26 AM  
Blogger Sarah Mc said...

That sounds like an awesome day!! I've been up and into town already, done some necessary grocery shopping that can't been done at my local market this afternoon. Also picked up some sweet potato starts so I can have rabbit feed during the winter! Husband and I are finishing our fancy chicken run Saturday for the ladies outta salvaged OLD picket fence. Sarah

June 15, 2012 at 11:06 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Yea! Finally.

June 15, 2012 at 11:20 AM  
Anonymous Tractor Supply said...

Hi, I appreciate you for the valuable post you share on blog. Keep posting, I would like to know more from you.

June 15, 2012 at 1:49 PM  
Blogger Glyndalyn said...

Waiting to see the shed. $288 for materials is a steal.

June 15, 2012 at 3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I havent read your blog for a couple of weeks my how much you've put into those weeks. I've printed a piece of your words were you say just follow your dream, everything will come to you as you need it, I think you are cramming a lot into your days and enjoying it along the way. I agree with you about dogs knowing your emotions and reacting accordingly. Keep up the good work however hard at least its what you want and your in charge, GOOD LUCK-Marie UK

June 15, 2012 at 4:32 PM  
Blogger April said...

I have a question.. Why do you order your chicks instead of breeding them yourself? Just wondering

June 15, 2012 at 6:22 PM  
Blogger April said...

If I double commented to you sorry my log in for blogger wigged out and I wasn't sure if it went through lol

June 15, 2012 at 6:23 PM  
OpenID kindsofhoney said...

Cool! Good luck and happy building!

June 15, 2012 at 7:47 PM  
OpenID kindsofhoney said...

Happy building!

June 15, 2012 at 7:48 PM  
Blogger Mary Schroeder said...

That sounds and looks awesome!

June 16, 2012 at 11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home