Monday, June 11, 2012

soap today!

Made goats' milk soap today, infused with mint essential oils. Right now a dozen bars are curing in the farmhouse. I bought some special molds to show off Bonita's goods. It amazes me how much one gets out of a single, 150lb animal. Milk, cheese, soap, coffee creamer, milkshakes, meat, leather, and more goats. That's just skimming the surface, too. The dairy life has become my own, and it fits.

Easy milk soap recipe to follow tomorrow, and there's a soap and candle making workshop at the farm the day after the beekeeping one later in July. Come on out and see it all in person, with tips and tricks. You can also see how milking, herb drying, homemade beeswax and using essential oils works in the process to make your homestead soaps even more special. You can't buy a raw milk soap like this in your grocery store. You can buy soap that isn't even really soap, since most commercial bars are actually detergents. They don't use actual fat/lye processes and instead use petrol chemicals and artificial fragrance. You are basically lathering up in chemical waste. So try out some real soap, and feel real clean, and the real difference from the old school methods of grime removal. Support your local Real SoapMaker or give it a try yourself. All you need for the CAF recipe is:

9.5 oz of lye
2 cups milk
2 pounds coconut oil
2 pounds olive oil
A few drops of essential oil (scent)
1 stainless steel* pot (4qt at least)
1 saucepan
soap molds

13 Comments:

Blogger Haley said...

Cute mold!

June 11, 2012 at 10:32 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

I love that mold. I have seen some but have not gotten any yet.
What should the temps be for your oils and lye? And how long to leave it in a mold? And how long to cure before using? I would like to try to make some maybe tomorrow. Yours looks really nice. I love making soap.

June 11, 2012 at 10:49 PM  
Blogger jenomnibus said...

That looks so lovely! I'd totally buy that....

June 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM  
Blogger Josh and Haley said...

Hello!! I am a fairly new reader and I wondered if I could use your Barnheart image on my blog and link it back to your blog or to the Barnheart article - which by the way is great and pretty much describes my life. It's a new blog - not up and running yet but I wanted to ask permission - I'm not sure if that type of thing is allowed :) Love the blog and congrats on your decision to leave the corporate world...I know that you won't regret it. Thanks!

June 12, 2012 at 12:25 AM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

I can hardly wait to try this recipe! I just have to find some lye. We can't buy it as readily in B.C. anymore.

June 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM  
Blogger The Bee Lady said...

Jenna, what dates are the soapmaking classes? I think its too early in the morning for me to find it...

June 12, 2012 at 6:14 AM  
Blogger Karen Rickers said...

God, look at those adorable eyes following your every move!

I haven't made soap from scratch yet, but I blend essentials oils with Dr. Bronner's pure castille soap for just about every household use. It's SO lovely to scrub your hands in the bathroom and be invigorated by the smell of basil, or to wash your hair and inhale the vibrant scent of rosemary. It just plain makes me happy!

I also make my own deodorant and face cream ... I will be a full-blown witch with a cauldron any day now! :-D

But I don't have a goat, more's the pity, and envy you your raw milk and goat's milk soap!

June 12, 2012 at 6:57 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Bee Lady: July 29th!

June 12, 2012 at 7:12 AM  
Blogger daisy said...

Sounds like a good time!

June 12, 2012 at 8:13 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Jenna, since lye is getting harder to find and buy you might do a demonstration on how our ancestors made their own using wood ashes and rainwater. I suspect that as time goes by and we face more restrictions, this method may become necessary to obtain the lye to make both soap and hominy. Keep up the good work.......

June 12, 2012 at 8:22 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Morning from Tennessee Jenna, as lye gets harder to find and more restricted to buy, you may need to include a demonstration on the way our ancestors made their own using wood ashes and rainwater. I suspect that sooner or later we will have to revert to that method to make the main ingredient for soap and hominy making. Enjoy your blog. Don't get discouraged from the "naysayers". Most of them have never been a farmer and never will be. Do a search for the old Future Farmers of America "official song". Sons Of The Soil and read its words. I think you will identify with them. Be blessed my friend.

June 12, 2012 at 8:28 AM  
Blogger karen said...

I haven't washed with regular soap in over 30 years. When I discovered Dr Bronner's Peppermint soap I was hooked and have been using that ever since. With that said, I would love to try my hand at soap making and try some herbal soaps. I can not commit at this time but would love to attend the soap making session at CAF! Karen from CT

June 12, 2012 at 10:23 PM  
Anonymous Nancy said...

I would love to purchase goat milk soap from you! Please let me know.
Thanks

June 13, 2012 at 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home