Wednesday, June 27, 2012

merlin won't be going to war...

This weekend is Northern Region War Camp, up here in the shire of Glenn Linn. That's the region of the SCA I belong to, and am an archer in good standing (number 182) with my fellow historical reenactors and craftsman in the Society. I will be at War Camp Saturday afternoon and most of Sunday, but Merlin won't be coming along. No trailer (and lack of practice driving and loading the horse alone) is just a fool's cry for trouble. Maybe next year.

I found this photo of a Fell at an SCA event if you want to see what I mean. Yes, I would totally ride Merlin in a corset. In fact, Fells are popular at such events since they are actually period animals from the area of my persona and time. So not only would he match the time line, he'd match my quiver!

Click here for details on NRWC, bring out the family for classes and demos! The SCA is a great way to learn skills of the past in your area of the country, free. Here is what is being taught at War Camp

photo from flickr, see more from pahz's site here

6 Comments:

Blogger Becca said...

I finally looked up my local SCA information. Such a tiny little group out here! But I'll give it a shot.

June 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM  
Blogger Desert Willow said...

Or side saddle in a kirtle! I would go just to watch a good melee!

June 27, 2012 at 10:13 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Smart move. Make your experience positive.
See you there anyway! (Or not, looks like I'm healed enough to beat up on the guys again. I'll be on the field most of the day.)

June 27, 2012 at 10:40 PM  
Blogger Misty said...

I always wanted to take my donkeys when I went to the Renaissance Festival here. http://www.michrenfest.com/

June 27, 2012 at 11:00 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Ha, I look in on your blog here and there and have read one of your books, but had no idea you were in the SCA, Huzzah! Perhaps whenever I get active again I'll unwittingly see you at an event.

June 28, 2012 at 5:49 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Ha, I elook in on your blog now and then, and I've read one of your books, but I had no idea you were in the SCA, Huzzah! Perhaps one day when I get more active again I'll unwittingly see you at an event.

June 28, 2012 at 5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home