Sunday, June 3, 2012

melons and more

I planted big ol' things this weekend. I planted pumpkins all over the farm, in feral patches of compost, hidden from chickens and goats but sunny enough to have a shot at Hallow's Lights. I also planted some butternut squash and watermelon yesterday, which is a true act of hope. I doubt I'll get melons but you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket. I planted 6 little mellon starts. Here's hoping.

Man, do I love watermelon...

Archery practice today with my SCA team. It may be canceled due to rain. The next whole week will be a long, wet, one. I am hoping it clears up by my campfire/cookout here Friday Night. I invited a small army of girlfriends here to enjoy a potluck/cookout in the woods behind the barn. Should be a hoot!

Tomorrow is the start of my last week at the office. I go into my first day of self employment Friday, June 8th, with big plans and that big party. I have a contracted book to finish about the agricultural/spiritual year, speaking engagements to plan and discuss, and workshops and camps here at the farm. Fiddle Camp is nearly full, and Beekeeping with Meg Paska and the Soap/Candle workshop is getting a healthy interest and sign ups as well. It is all encouraging news, like a pat on the back. I'm getting less and less worried about making this happen, and more and more excited about what is ahead.

10 Comments:

Blogger phaedra96 said...

You are going to be busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger! Work...what you did was a job. What you are planning is work! You will make a success of it simply because you intend to do so. Happy First-Day-of-the-Rest-of-Your-Life!!!!!

June 3, 2012 at 9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenna
We're off to day two of the Mother Earth fair in Puyallup WA to hear Joel Salatin speak. Smiled when I saw all your books in the bookstore and told the people next to me how wonderful they all were (they bought a copy of each). You are an inspiration Jenna.
mehileman@yahoo.com

June 3, 2012 at 9:27 AM  
Blogger PansWife said...

I love stumbling upon a pumpkin in some remote compost pile I forgot about.
Sugar Baby watermelon does just fine in your area and they are small enough that you don't get overwhelmed when they are ready to eat. They taste just as good as the big ones.

June 3, 2012 at 10:12 AM  
Blogger daisy said...

The dream lives...
Enjoy this time of transition.
I see watermelons in your future!

June 3, 2012 at 1:17 PM  
OpenID sailorssmallfarm said...

Your place will look wild when those vines start creeping out of their corners! We were in Greece last summer during the height of watermelon season, and I am telling you - that is WATERMELON. With seeds - we had to teach our kids how to spit them properly for contests - melons we can get up here above the 49th parallel tend to be seedless.

June 3, 2012 at 4:03 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I look forward to seeing pictures of all the watermelons. I stumbled upon this link while looking at the Guardian website for info on the Queen's Diamond Jubilee ceremonies. It reminded me of Cold Antler Farm.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/audioslideshow/2012/may/18/wales-coast-path-audio-slideshow-cardigan

Reading about your last day brings tears to my eyes - of happiness for you and my own sadness. Your journey continues to inspire.

June 3, 2012 at 5:16 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

That is all super exciting! Congratulations on the impending start of your self employment venture. It sounds like your plate is pretty full; you may have already arrived.

June 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the butternut squash! I planted about 35 seeds last year, never went back to look at them (they were on the end of a cornfield)no watering, hoeing, or fertilizer and 3 months later a full size pickup bed level full with Butternut squash!! These kept till April in great shape and it they had been cellered would have kept even better. There was a reason the Native Americans grew winter squash! Tasty roasted,made into pies, and my favorite- fried in a dab of olive oil,salt& pepper. And if there are too many, the make great pig feed, or chop one into 4 big chunks seeds peel and all, & boil 20 minutes for the chickens, on a cold day the will devour it and the water it was cooked in. Beth in Ky

June 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM  
Blogger Sarah Mc said...

Jenna! Im so excited to see the subject of your new book is farming through the spiritual seasons!!! This subject is so close to home for me.Wishing you a quick fast and in a hurry last office work week so you can start you life's work. Can't wait to read your new book post haste!
Sarahlynn Paper Road Farm

June 4, 2012 at 9:35 AM  
Blogger Sarah Mc said...

Jenna! I'm so excited to learn about your new book subject farming through the spiritual seasons, this subject is so close to home for me. Wishing you a quick, fast and in a hurry last week of office work so you can start your life's work! Can't wait to read you new book post haste!
Sarahlynn Paper Road Farm

June 4, 2012 at 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home