Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Happy Summer, Folks!

It's the Solstice today! First day of summer. In a few hours I'll head to Albany to pick up Ajay at the train station. He'll be coming by way of Philly. Ajay will be living in Washington County for a while, starting at my farm while he finds his feet. He's an old friend of the family, somewhat adopted by my parents as the feral kid who showed up for some holidays and then got postcards from Arizona from. We are close friends and went to highschool together. He just turned thirty and is eager to get out of the city and learn about farming. He'll be WWOOFing over at Common Sense Farm after a few weeks here. I'm excited to see him again, and excited to have someone to go over the day's chores and plans, hold the lines while I fix Jasper's harness, and chop firewood from the locust pile under the side porch.

But here's the thing. Ajay is brand new to this entire world. He has no idea about haying or livestock auctions, couldn't tell a lamb from a kid at 30 yards. He's a total beginner, but has a strong mind and back. It'll be interesting to see what is new to him, what he tends to like the most, and how he fits into this eccentric and artsy ag town. I mean, this is a place where a Christian Farming Commune lives four blocks from a community theatre group that put on a live performance of The Lottery last summer and all the kids handed out rocks by the bucketfull to the audience before it started. You can buy deer butchering gear at the IGA. Horses ride downtown. It is a far cry from the city and I can't wait to see how he does. I already bought him a straw cowboy hat. Let's see if he blushes before putting it on.

14 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

Welcome to the farm, Ajay! Watch out, it's addictive...

June 20, 2012 at 8:30 AM  
Blogger Ashling said...

What a great opportunity for you both! We need young farmers, so hopefully he'll fall in love with it!

June 20, 2012 at 9:59 AM  
Blogger ebwhite said...

What is "WWOOFing"?

June 20, 2012 at 10:08 AM  
Blogger ebwhite said...

What is "WWOOFing" ?

June 20, 2012 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

What a wonderful experience this will be for him! How awesome, for you both

June 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

by the by, am I the only one who has difficulty with this "prove you're not a robot" thing? Oh my, I have 20/20 vision and I STILL have quite the time figuring out what the letters are! Jeesh! lol

June 20, 2012 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

Wow! He's like a dream for you. You can teach him all sorts of things there. He'll be a farmer before he knows what hit him! I hope he does well and learns so much from you and the others in your community. Be kind! Be patient too. He's just a baby.

June 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM  
OpenID sailorssmallfarm said...

WWOOF - Willing Workers On Organic Farms, or I've also seen World Wide Opportunities for Organic Farming. Usually people who volunteer just for the experience and the place to stay. Popular in Europe and Down Under too. I too have trouble seeing the "prove you're not a robot" stuff - but I guess it's necessary - and I think part of the proof must be if you get it wrong by one letter because I'm sure I mess up most times, lol.

June 20, 2012 at 1:25 PM  
Blogger redhorse said...

Amy,

YES. I'd like to make THEM prove a thing or two.

June 20, 2012 at 1:37 PM  
Blogger The Kelly's Adventures in KY said...

How exciting! I can't wait to read about his adventures with you.

June 20, 2012 at 2:32 PM  
Blogger macbew said...

Is Ajay the intern you were talking about?

June 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM  
Anonymous H said...

Okay, totally not a farmIng comment (but good luck Ajay!) - I just wanted to say that I love "The Lottery"! It's one of my favorite short stories, and I teach it each year to my eighth graders, who are duly horrified once they figure out what's going on! I love that the theater group handed out rocks...very creepy! ;)

June 20, 2012 at 5:43 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Lol@Redhorse - right on

June 21, 2012 at 11:09 AM  
Blogger redbird said...

Happy summer! It’s always interesting to see how the non-country folk react to the life, but I’ve found most take it all in pretty well, some even flourish. Wishing Ajay good times!

June 21, 2012 at 8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home