Friday, June 15, 2012

going up...


Blogger Noël said...

It looks wonderful. Can't wait to see the new BFF's enjoying their new home!

June 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM  
Anonymous christine said...

Gorgeous, Jenna. I am so happy for you at CAF.

June 15, 2012 at 6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking good!

Grace and Peace,


June 15, 2012 at 6:04 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

Oh it's going to be perfect and adorable. I can't wait to see Jasper and Merlin in there.

June 15, 2012 at 6:17 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Yaayyyyy!! (kermit flail)

Glad you have good weather for this important project. Looks great!

June 15, 2012 at 6:34 PM  
Anonymous Pooh Overalls said...

So far, so good... The boys are going it!

You must be so excited!!

June 15, 2012 at 7:22 PM  
OpenID chickadeeworkshop said...

Great start!

June 15, 2012 at 7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please show photos of the whole process, very interesting!


June 15, 2012 at 7:45 PM  
Blogger Mist said...

Lookin' good!

June 15, 2012 at 8:11 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Holy Smokes, that's a lot of work done already!

June 15, 2012 at 8:19 PM  
Blogger CampbellHouse said...

Looks awesome so far!

June 15, 2012 at 8:23 PM  
Blogger CampbellHouse said...

Looks awesome so far!

June 15, 2012 at 8:24 PM  
Blogger Sue Steeves said...

That is a thing of beauty!

June 15, 2012 at 8:58 PM  
Blogger Kira said...

Jenna, this is awesome and it's so great that you have a knowledgeable friend to help you build. That is invaluable.

This is off topic for this post but perhaps you'll consider a post on "pest management." I know you've had issues with mice and rats before and I'm really curious how you and your readers deal with them. I'm in the middle of a rat issue right now. (I have fruit trees and a veggie garden, 2 fiber rabbits and 7 hens with 2 goats coming on Sunday so it's not all that unusual to have this issue but...). I'm happy to say that my awesome dog caught the rat in question (no worries, she didn't eat it just stunned it and I stepped in - with trepidation - with a shovel) but I fear with the arrival of goats that I'm inviting more pests. I keep sanitary conditions, put food in a locked and sturdy shed at night, etc. but still it seems a problem just due to the location where I live (a large open field behind me surrounded by more fields and farms). And you know what they say, if you see one there are 10 more. How do you protect yourself, your farm, and your animals for the health issues and plain nuisance of pests?

Any thoughts you or your readers have are appreciated!


June 15, 2012 at 10:46 PM  
Blogger The Village Queen said...

Great shelter. Horses are goofy sometimes, even in what to us is horrible weather they prefer to be out of a closed in stall and in the rain. Even in the worst Minnesota blizzards Id go out to the pasture and find them covered with snow when they had a open door to go into a loose barn. Goof balls. Id put them in anyway cause Id feel bad for them. Guess thats more me than them! But your guys will be happy with a lean to that keeps the wind out and lets them not feel trapped. Nice work!

June 15, 2012 at 11:04 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Looks like y'all used up all that pile of lumber today. It looks good and strong and sturdy. It will last a long time. I bet you are tired.

June 15, 2012 at 11:51 PM  
Blogger The Sprouting Acorn said...

I do believe that would pass for a "bank" barn... love it!

June 16, 2012 at 12:23 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...


June 16, 2012 at 12:43 AM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

So good that you have such handy friends! Looks great!!

June 16, 2012 at 6:56 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

We have to build a loafing shed this fall so I would be very interested in detailed pictures.

June 16, 2012 at 10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Kira, I too had a rat problem. I kept feed secure in tubs and a neat and tidy farm. Tried traps, caught two dozen and then didn't catch any more because they are just so smart and learned to avoid the traps. I did NOT want to use poison, but they were starting to dig and undermine the foundation of my hayshed, so I felt like I had no choice. I bought rat sized bait boxes at the hardware store and stocked them with bait blocks. My chickens and dogs can't access the poison with the bait boxes. I like the bait blocks over the pelleted bait because the rodents can't carry the blocks away like they can with pellets to a different location to be found and eaten by my animals. The rats have to gnaw at the blocks which are secured on metal rods.
The one issue I did have was during the day, little song birds were going into the bait boxes to peck out the seed that is in the blocks. yikes! I didn't want to poison them, so during the day I put milk crates over the bait boxes to block access. Mice and rats are active mostly at night, so I remove the milk crates in the evening and replace them in the morning.
Good Luck!
Heather in PA

June 16, 2012 at 11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where do you store your hay?
Heather in PA

June 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home