Saturday, June 23, 2012

GoGoGo!

Having Ajay here has turned my life (and his) into Farming Army. With another strong back things I couldn't do myself are possible, and to take advantage of the gift, we work from 4:45AM until sundown on chores. It's why you haven't heard from me much (that and a heatwave that sent us to the Battenkill to swim every free chance in our work day). It's also why I think more work got done around here in 48 hours than all of last week!

Ajay and I did usual chores but we also trained Jasper in harness, put up 300 bales of hay at the Wesner's Farm, set locust posts for the pony gates, bought used gates from another farm, went to the hardware store, toured Common Sense Farm, cooked all our meals, visited neighbors, and more. On top of all this new work in a new world, Ajay has decided to quit smoking. He's really putting change into action, and so far with surprising grace. I mean, this is the same guy who's nickname in high school was "Struggle"

Besides Ajay there is a lot going on here at the farm. Monday the new lamb is a 100% bottle fed babe, and small enough to slide through the woven wire fence squares. Whenever he sees us outside doing chores he just walks out and follows us around like a pup. It's quite the sight seeing this circus now. Last night Ajay was watering the garden (he's so green I had to explain where the raised bed gardens started and lawn ended) walking around with watering cans and buckets, I was holding a bottle of goat milk between my knees while sitting on the stanchion to milk Bonita. Three tasks done at once, and necessary due to our appointments and chore lists. It is GO GO GO all day but I have to say, I feel great. I feel free.

Oh, and here is some big news: Merlin and I went for our first cart ride yesterday! He did amazingly! Milt (the trainer) said to Patty as he got off the forecart after our first outing, "You got some competition, Patty." And we both smiled ear to ear. Videos and photos soon!

6 Comments:

Blogger phaedra96 said...

Make hay while the sun shines! Or the Ajay. Don't wear him out. Love driving a good horse. Nothing like it.

June 23, 2012 at 8:51 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

It all sounds like it's going swimmingly. A big WOOT on the cart ride!

June 23, 2012 at 9:13 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I'm so happy for you I could shout. It's always nice to have a helpmate when there's lots of chores. I'll bet he's learning a lot from you.

June 24, 2012 at 12:02 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

This is awesome. So happy for you to have another pair of arms to work and lucky Ajay has the chance to learn while doing. Can't wait to see all the changes at CAF!

June 24, 2012 at 10:38 AM  
Anonymous jennifer said...

You sound so fulfilled. Loving this new stage of CAF and will be excitedly following along.

June 25, 2012 at 2:48 PM  
Blogger Tiffrz-N-Kidz said...

So does Ajay have a twin that wants to apprentice at HasliVal? There's fence to stretch, wood to cut, a garden to weed... :-)

June 26, 2012 at 1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home