Sunday, June 3, 2012

go team!

Today was my third team practice, and my third time handing in score sheets to be added to the East Kingdom's list. As of now I am an official archer in the Society. Not the best, certainly. I have a long way to go in skill and effort, but I earned my silver crossed arrows. They'll be awarded to me at a practice at a future date. I will wear that medal with pride during events and reenactments. It will hang on my quiver.

It's so rare as adults we find things to work towards that aren't part of our careers or possessions to add to our homes. We aren't usually still preparing for dance recitals or yellow belt tests. We tend to think tests of skill are for children. But this year I took a dressage test, and am working on my scores and awards in archery. I don't mean to sound crass, or like bragging. I'm not GOOD at these things, I'm just capable enough to pass. That said, I don't feel childish at all. I feel thrilled every time I nock an arrow or grab those reins. Just as excited as a child, but old enough to let myself fall in love with that nostalgia as it is happening. Makes you feel rich.

11 Comments:

Blogger sara amber said...

That's how I feel about running - each time I run faster or longer, I get so excited and feel so good about (and proud of!) myself.

June 3, 2012 at 7:30 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Congratulations Jenna! I think it's great that you continue to learn new skills, and find hobbies that you enjoy.

June 3, 2012 at 7:35 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

Thanks for taking a picture of a time that I actually got some points! I'm so proud!

June 3, 2012 at 7:39 PM  
Blogger Lissa B. said...

I know how you feel! I think part of the happiness we lack as a society is linked to the progress we've made as a society toward total automation. We don't have to get better at something because there is a machine or factory somewhere that makes whatever it is we want or need better and faster than we can, so we don't try. Kids, on the other hand, do things for the joy of it, trying to be better just to have the pride of being better, accomplishing that goal. I am no seamstress, and it would be far easier, faster and cheaper for me to buy all my kids clothes imported from China at Walmart. But everytime I see my daughters in the simple dresses I have made for them, it makes me proud. And you know what fills me to the brim? This morning my daughter chose to wear one of the dresses I made for her, rather than a store bought one and said " I want to wear this one that you made me because you love me so much!". Now I am in no way saying that people who buy clothes are not loving parents or any such thing, so please don't misinterpret what I mean. I am simply grateful that my child appreciates the dress for what it is - it is far from perfect, but she knows that I made it just for her with love, knowing that I could have bought one instead. I think it's important to do things that make you proud - something that may not be perfect but having a goal in mind and working toward that goal does wonders for ones mood and self-esteem.

June 3, 2012 at 10:10 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Way to go Jenna!!! By doing all these interesting new things you are inspiring so many of us to try new things ourselves.

PS - who's the archery stud in the picture? :)

June 3, 2012 at 10:25 PM  
Blogger Ngo Family Farm said...

Jenna, you sure know how to live life to the fullest! Thanks for sharing it with us :)
-Jaime

June 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM  
Blogger Joleen said...

Proud of you.

June 3, 2012 at 11:46 PM  
Blogger David Shearer said...

You are gaining wisdom at an early age, Jenna.

June 4, 2012 at 12:18 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

that's Ian, he's also a new archer on the team, he uses this amazing horsebow.

June 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

I too know what you are talking about. I took up the sport of agility with my dogs at the age of 50! We are now trialing & working toward higher titles. No cash awards to be earned---just the satisfaction of teamwork that we have worked hard to create AND wonderful exercise with a couple of good canine buddies!

June 4, 2012 at 12:12 PM  
Blogger Sewing Machine Girl said...

Never quit learning. Never.

June 4, 2012 at 6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home