Monday, June 11, 2012

first week...

It's the first Monday morning of my new job. Officially, Friday was my first day on the job but since I haven't worked Friday's in a while it felt like any normal week. But now, a Monday morning and I am self employed. Incidentally, I'm still going into an office post-chores and before 9AM. Dentist appointment... Gotta use up this Cadillac Health Plan while I still have it through the end of June. Then my higher deductible individual plan kicks in. I am trying to get the check ups, cleanings, and trips about my carpal tunnel in soon as possible. My personal copay and rates will be higher. It'll be interesting seeing what it's like not having that same coverage, and I think it will be for the better. My healthcare is now turning into preventative and not reactive care. I'm losing weight, spending more time outside, eating better and yesterday I ran a mile up my mountain road without stopping and I felt invincible. That's how I ended up in my hammock taking that video, a post-running high suspended above the ground.

After the Dentist I am running to Betterbee in Greenwich to pick up soapmaking materials and then Yesheva and her girl Emmith from Common Sense is coming over to practice making soaps with goatsmilk. It's a R&D mission for the upcoming Cold Press Soapmaking Workshop in July.

Between all this is email catch ups, paying some bills, and talking with freelance design clients. I have logos to wrap up, homepages for some e-commerce sites, and a visit to a friend of a friend tomorrow to help a local artist start a blog. Tuesday is the visit of students from Bloomfield College in New Jersey. I'm excited to have them over and talk about backyard sustainability. Barnheart is part of their ciriculum for the class! How about that?!

The rest of the week involves fishing, horses, writing, design, and possibly even the rare and elusive nap...

Here I go.

13 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

Squee! Congrats on your first day! I'm so excited for you :)

June 11, 2012 at 7:41 AM  
Blogger PansWife said...

We haven't had corporate health insurance since we started our own agricultural business 15 years ago. We pay our doctors cash and we get a discount for not creating more paperwork for them. You will be amazed at how much stuff just goes away with a little home TLC. Prevention is the best care. We never skimp on professional teeth cleaning or if we see a funny looking mole we head to the dermatologist (last visit was $450 and happy to say no bad news). I've noticed people with the most insurance tend to be on the most prescription drugs and get what I consider excessive care for trivial matters. I agree you can control a lot of your health with lifestyle. At your age you mostly just have to worry about accidents. Since you have catastrophic, you should also have a disability backup insurance plan to pay your healthcare monthly premiums in case you can't work due to long term illness. If you miss one premium they cancel your health insurance. Aflac is probably the best know for this type of coverage, but there are many other companies. Otherwise, welcome to the world of the self-employed!

June 11, 2012 at 7:49 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Good luck! We'll be here watching and cheering you on!

June 11, 2012 at 8:33 AM  
Blogger Trekout2 said...

Enjoy your first day on the new job...

June 11, 2012 at 8:40 AM  
Blogger Coco said...

Congratulations on the new boss!

Google cash payment medical bills - it´s scandalous what the difference is between cash and even insured costs.

Not to pick nits - but do you mean ¨cold process¨ soapmaking? If not, I´m imagining you somehow repurposing the cider press.

June 11, 2012 at 9:07 AM  
Blogger Pit Stop Farm said...

Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life.

June 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM  
Anonymous Patsy From Illinois said...

I can't wait to see how your life unfolds. Good for you. By the way, how is Jazz doing?

June 11, 2012 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger Ashling said...

How very wonderful and exciting. Looking forward to reading about this chapter. Better Bee? That's where our first hive of bees came from; you must not be terribly far from our neck of the woods!

June 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Jazz is okay, holding steady!

June 11, 2012 at 11:00 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I call cold process - cold press. SOrry for the confusion, I just always called it that because it cools to press into the molds and I think it stuck in my head as a form of the term cold processing

June 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM  
Blogger daisy said...

Dang, girl, that sounds like an amazing way to spend a week. Enjoy!

June 11, 2012 at 11:10 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Yay! This is it! Your life starts NOW!

June 11, 2012 at 4:51 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Your week and the rest of your life plan sounds awesome! Looking forward to hearing all about it. Prevention is the key to good health and it sounds like you are doing all the right things. Keep up to date with your tetanus shots, learn to treat yourself and your animals with trusted herbal remedies when appropriate and you will be fine. Enjoy your first week as your own boss. Karen from CT

June 11, 2012 at 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home