Sunday, June 24, 2012

farm dispatch: by ajay

So if any of you were wondering about the differences between the city life and the farm life, allow me to shed some light on that subject; there aren't many. How can that be you say? Well in my old life I had to deal with ornery cab drivers. They rarely spoke a dialect of english that I could understand and if I tried to reason with them in any kind of civil way about the route I wanted them to take I would have to listen to a ten minute discourse on why I shouldn't tell them how to do their job, which may or may not end up with me getting booted from his cab. On the farm this happens to be a lot like dealing with Thor the rooster. He speaks a dialect of dinosaur which I completely do not understand, he assures me on a daily basis that I have no Idea how to do my job or anyone else's for that matter and boots me out of his rooster barn for even making eye contact. At least I don't have to defend myself from the cab driver using a steel trash can lid.

In the corporate world I needed an ID card to enter the building where I worked. On the farm my ID card is knowing which wire fences are electrified, spoiler alert: they all are. In my old life I needed an alarm clock to get up and its the same thing here on the farm except that my alarm clock is a border collie named Gibson and all I have to do to hit the snooze button is tell him to get "his" sheep. The sheep themselves are a lot like my former co-workers, it doesn't matter that they're huddled around  a pile of hay instead of bag of bagels in the company kitchenette. The sheep and my former co-workers speak exactly the same dialect.

There's really only a one main difference from the city to the country and it's this. . . you're work is entirely rewarding. It's like taking the sticky plastic cover off of your aunt's Mabell's couch and sitting on it for the first time. It's real. You're hands touch the rich soil and the sun lights up your world like no florescent light ever could. It does take a level of sacrifice to exchange one life for another, even if for just a short period of time. But it's worth it.

Yerba Mate. Google it.

15 Comments:

Blogger Elisabeth Black said...

"It's like taking the sticky plastic cover off of your aunt's Mabell's couch and sitting on it for the first time. It's real." This is exactly what it's like.

June 24, 2012 at 8:19 PM  
Blogger karental said...

Ha! Brilliant. Welcome, Ajay. You should draw a cartoon of sheep in a breakroom.

June 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM  
Blogger Mist said...

Great to hear from you, Ajay. And glad that you're finding your place so quickly. Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us. :)

June 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM  
Blogger redbird said...

Well written Ajay. Now that I think of it my coworkers do sound a lot like sheep when they hover around the coffee pot.

June 24, 2012 at 10:00 PM  
Blogger Firecracker Farm said...

Well written.
So when do we get to meet you already?

June 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM  
Blogger Firecracker Farm said...

Well written.
So when do we get to meet you already?

June 24, 2012 at 10:33 PM  
Blogger Joleen said...

Sounds like a case of Barnheart to me Ajay.

June 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Maybe that's it, when people moved into offices their work turned into pretend. It doesn't feel real the way digging a hole in the ground feels real. So happy you're at CAF Ajay! Real is better.

June 25, 2012 at 6:50 AM  
Blogger tami said...

Love this.

I can just see you with that trash can lid in hand. (Maybe I need to try this on MY coworkers...)

June 25, 2012 at 6:53 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

I echo Elisabeth Black. Welcome to the addiction.

June 25, 2012 at 7:09 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Welcome, Ajay! Well said! Take note -once you go farm, you never go back.

June 25, 2012 at 8:36 AM  
Anonymous Mike Cranston said...

Hey Ajay

I have 5 more years until I can feel fulltime what you are feeling now. Congrats on your new life. Looks like you have assimilated rather well.

June 25, 2012 at 8:54 AM  
Blogger feathers217 said...

What a great look into your new adventure at CAF! I think it is wonderful that you are at CAF , I think Jenna needs someone to talk to & share her love of the farm life with much less 2 extra hands to help her through the day.

June 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM  
Blogger Nicola Cunha said...

Great writing! And congrats on surviving your first farm-stay!

June 25, 2012 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

Awesome. Simply awesome.

June 25, 2012 at 6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home