Sunday, June 24, 2012

change your story

I was watching Patty, Steele, and Ajay walk up the Livingston Brook Farm driveway, and couldn't stop smiling. Ajay was on Steele's back, his first time on a horse since the few minutes he experienced it when he was eight. He looked comfortable, proud, and under the watchful eye and advice of Patty, confident. Mark, Patty's husband, walked up aside me next to the trailer Merlin was in. He had been in the garden and handed me a fresh radish, "Take a bite of that!" he said, and I did. The crispy tartness filled up my senses and I nodded to him. He pointed to the pile in the driveway harvested that day. It was enough radishes to fill a commercial gumball machine.

Mark looked at the horse and new rider and said so matter of factly, "You know, this changes his whole story?" And I looked at him, expected more of an explanation. Mark continued, "His story with horses. He said his only experience with horses was riding a pony as a kid for a few minutes. He had no experience, at least nothing substantial. But he can't say that now." And I got it. Mark was right. Ajay, even though he was nervous and as green as it gets when it comes to country living—got up on that draft horse. He did it even though he was scared, and now that he realized there wasn't a landmine in the saddle and was actually controlling the reins enough to make Steele circle, back up, turn, and stop, he looked ten feet tall.

He can't believe he's only been here since Wednesday night. Because our work starts so early (4:45 on a weekday), and lasts till dark, the days stretch out into a dance of sweat, food, meals, and more sweat. Breaks are few and cherished in swimming holes or hot tubs at friend's houses. In a few more days he'll move on to a new farm and start work there. I'm grateful for the help while I have it. I hope he sticks around to do some more riding, hard work, and falls in love with Washington County and our way of life up here. It's sure been wonderful seeing a good friend so happy and tired. <

He is changing his story.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sassafras and Winterberry said...

...and working on his "happily ever after"!
All good!
Courtney

June 24, 2012 at 6:35 PM  
Blogger Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

I think we all have the chance to do this, in our own lives every single day. Someone gave me one of THE BEST compliments the other day-she said I live fully. I am so proud of that. If we really love this life, we shouldn't waste a single second. Ride on Ajay, ride on!

June 24, 2012 at 7:31 PM  
Blogger Moose Hollow Farm said...

How could he not love Cold Antler Farm and all of its magic? I've got a feeling that he'll be sticking around the area ~ he's realizing how wonderful farm life can be. Have a great week!!

June 24, 2012 at 8:06 PM  
Blogger kandy Gray said...

i keep reading what you are saying about ajay being green and how he is experiencing everything for the first time, and i cant help but think about your blogs from the beginning times. you talked of yourself the same way. it makes me smile that now, only a few years later, you go from being green to being a teacher. i.love.it!

June 24, 2012 at 8:11 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

I needed this today. I'm at a confusing point in my life and need to change my own story. This post was a quiet whisper. Thanks for that.

June 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

I like that, how new experiences change all of our stories. And how, if we feel our story isn't heading in the right direction, we can choose to change it...like the "Choose Your Adventure" books from when we were kids!

I think this was something I really needed to read/think about today. Thank you for posting it!

June 25, 2012 at 7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home