Saturday, June 9, 2012

campfire girls

Last night's campfire was exactly what I needed. A lot of good friends, cold beer, a campfire, and pot-lucked plates brimming with amazing feasts such as Flying Pig Farm pulled pork and Goats Milk Mac & Cheese (thank you Bonita). We ate, laughed, toasted, and eventually gathered enough chairs and haybales to all sit around the campfire. It was a lovely time. And the congratulations and words of support were around, all day.

While blog comments are kind and amazing, when you make a decision like this is is wildly comforting to get support from people you know, right in the flesh. It's something you need to hear and see. At least I do. And compared to other people around the circle, I realized my choice wasn't the biggest event of the night either! One woman just closed on her first ever home, another was about to go under the knife for major surgery. Another just got approval for adopting a child and another just moved up from Tennessee. Everyone, every single other person out there has a life as challenging and complicated and wonderful as everyone else's. I think everyone appreciated the night of celebration and Support and CAF was simply the humble host . I was glad to be. And the rain even held off long enough to enjoy it all outdoors.

Today after morning chores I'm heading for a day trip with Merlin. A trail ride with Patty and Steele. Not a bad way to use a Saturday, and a day on horseback is exactly what I need to ferment away the last of my doubts. Horses can do that.

6 Comments:

Blogger Megan, Rudy's mom said...

I'm so glad you had fun. I think it's humbling that there were other people in a group taking on new life challenges at the same time. It puts your situation in perspective. Sounds like a super fun night girl night!

June 9, 2012 at 8:09 AM  
Blogger Melina said...

I was thinking of your gathering last night when I was in the airport. I was reading Kristen Kimball's book. It was recommended to me at your farm on shearing day. I hope to visit you soon. It is good to have encouragement in person.

June 9, 2012 at 8:24 AM  
Anonymous cowgirl said...

Always remember the famous: "The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man (or woman)".

June 9, 2012 at 8:34 AM  
Blogger Elaine said...

I am so envious (in a good way!) that you can spend a day in the saddle with a friend and a well loved horse .... enjoy, you've worked hard for this !

June 9, 2012 at 10:19 AM  
Anonymous Heather said...

Congratulations on your new adventure, and so glad to hear that you're settling into it fully. There's always that initial sense of free-fall with any big transition, but then suddenly you find firm ground underneath you again. But it's in that free-fall that you get the chance to fully unfurl your wings. Very powerful stuff. All the best to you.

June 9, 2012 at 12:26 PM  
Blogger The Kelly's Adventures in KY said...

So happy you were surrounded by that great group of people! Hope you had a great time with Merlin this afternoon!

June 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home