Sunday, June 24, 2012

the boys of CAF

Monday seems to go everywhere with us. He's 100% on the bottle so every few hours he eats from a goat's-milk-filled stubby beer bottle with a plastic nipple from the feed store. Yesterday I brought him along to Maria and Jon's Art Show at Bedlam Farm and he walked around wagging his tail and being held and pet by visitors from all over the US and Canada. Jon brings in the crowds, that is for sure. I talked to people from New Jersey and then the Upper Peninsula of Michigan at the same random circle of strangers. They all seemed to soak up Washington County and its beautiful rolling hills. Yesterday Ajay said it reminded him of the Shire in the Lord of the Rings books. I told him it feels like home to me too. I can't imagine living somewhere else. Not anymore.

After Jon's we went out to the Wesners' for dinner (Ajay's first time eating rabbit, which he LOVED) and, of  course, Monday came with us. Gibson did too. It was like brining along the baby sitter. Gibson kept an eye  on that lamb like it was the only thing in the world to him. He even ignored Patty and Mark's rabbit cages (Gibson stares at rabbits for hours so this is a HUGE deal). He watched and herded that little boy right around us. Gentle, never biting, just circling with that beautiful stalking crouch and dead-set eyes. I was so proud of him.

I'm proud of Ajay too. He is doing so great up here. He's working like a dog, no doubt, but in love with Washington County. He agreed to write a post about what it is like and his observations on it all. It'll be a treat, for certain. He's no writing slouch. He's an inspiring novelist and lover of story and song. I'll post a video of him on his git box later, tearing it up for the dogs in the living room.

Ajay's taken up an interest in horses and riding too. He wants to learn, a combination of being around horses and riders so much,  but also watching things like Game of Thrones and other horse-centric bits of entertainment that got him jonesing for saddle time. He's nervous about it, since he hasn't been on a horse since "three minutes when I was eight" he says, but today he will get his first informal lesson. Patty and I will show him how to tack up, and the equipment and parts of the sport. The he'll get up on Steele under the watchful eyes of Patty and learn some basics of communication and steering. I think he will love it. I can't wait for him to get up on that 17-hand beauty and feel what it is like to see the world, my world, from horseback.

Enjoy your Sunday, Friends.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Pooh Overalls said...

Oh, how precious! Gibson has a new friend! Too bad he's slated to be Christmas dinner. They look like quite the pair!

June 24, 2012 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Noël said...

Why is Monday a bottle lamb? Did momma not want him? I had a bottle lamb growing up, and they are a lot of fun! They can get a little ornery when they get older though. ;)

June 24, 2012 at 9:49 AM  
Blogger Maggie in Tally said...

Gibson looks like he's the proud papa of the lamb---too cute.

June 24, 2012 at 10:00 AM  
Blogger Daisy Farm said...

I feel that you are a different person with your intern. Maybe this is something to consider for the future? Hey, why not? Can an outbuilding with summer accommodations for workshops (writing, farm and animal and all things "jenna") and intern bunking be far behind? It seems like you are more at peace. And I was one of those who questioned some of your decisions early on. But now, so many possibilities. Grab on. The world is your oyster!

-Marguerite at http://daisyfarm3.blogspot.com/

June 24, 2012 at 5:25 PM  
Blogger rabbit said...

I want to intern! I too fell in love with Washington County in that brief autumn affair that is Antlerstock-I keep telling Riley we should just buy Bedlam Farm! ;)

June 25, 2012 at 8:18 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Oh man! I'm bumming...we were at the farm on Sunday. I would have loved to said hi and picked your brain about farming. My hubby and I are starting the process of purging the house and looking for a farm to buy, either in Schuylerville or Washington Co. Oh well, I'll see you next month at the candle/soap making event.

June 25, 2012 at 11:30 AM  
OpenID parkerpages said...

Gibson's being a good babysitter! Totally adorable!

June 25, 2012 at 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home