Sunday, May 27, 2012

tomorrow, horses.

This is my farm, my story, my livestock, and my life. I share it the way people who tell stories always have. People have been sharing autobiographies and family tales since time out of mind. Blogs are a new thing, but the honesty's the same. Sitting around a cave wall pointing at hand-smudges of bison or typing into a Mac: we are sharing stories, our lives, the process.

I got a few phone calls today from a good friend. I told him about the sheep that died, and we talked about how upset it made me, and what that upset meant. It was a good, long, talk. The kind of which I have sorely been lacking. I'm so grateful he's a part of my life.

Spent most of the day at Common Sense Farm, enjoying their first ever Spring Farm Festival down at their beautiful 200-acre farm right in Cambridge's heart. So many people and animals, so many kids running unshod through the green grass. Gibson came along and took a swim in the pond and enjoyed the people and fruit-tree digging. I got to meet a lot of new people like local farmers and neighbors.

It was the kind of event you don't see anymore. A large outdoor gathering without cell phones or polo shirts. Just people and their kids running in wild packs playing games and smiling like foxes.

It was a good day here in Farm Country. And if the weather holds out tomorrow, and the thunderstorms hold their breath until dusk, Merlin and I will be out on a trail ride on the hillsides of Livingston Brook Farm. Tomorrow is horses. I can't wait to be back in the saddle as it has been a few days. I even emailed the SCA's equestrian folks to see how Merlin and I can start competing in events. If I borrow a friend's trailer I might be able to bring him to War Camp at the end of June up in the Adirondacks! We will see!

Also, I am looking into buying a digital camera, or bartering for a decent used one. Any suggestions? Please email me with trades (like a workshop day for a used, but serviceable, Cannon or Kodak of proper agency). I am feeling like these iphone shots aren't doing my experiences justice.

14 Comments:

Blogger Karen Rickers said...

A day in the country without cell phones sounds amazing. So does a day with horses. Hope you enjoy(ed) them both to the fullest!

May 27, 2012 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger kandy Gray said...

ha! i was listening to a woman on CBC radio talking about her experiences of jousting competitions in Calgary (canada) and immediately thought to myself " i wish Jenna could here this, she would love it". glad you found similar down there!!!

May 27, 2012 at 9:25 PM  
Blogger kandy Gray said...

ha! i was listening to a lady on the CBC talking about her experiences in jousting competitions in Calgary (canada) ant immediately thought " i wish Jenna could here this, she would love it!" glad you found similar down there!

May 27, 2012 at 9:27 PM  
Blogger DarcC said...

I'm still interested in trading my trailer for workshops if you are, email me and we can work out the details!

May 27, 2012 at 9:58 PM  
Blogger CuppyCake said...

That sounds like such a fun festival. So jealous! You've inspired me to seek out farming events. One thing about living in Maine is that there's no shortage once spring rolls around! For digital cameras, I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1. I really like it. I've traveled around with it and it's gotten the job done quite well. I'm not much of a photography buff, but I ordered it based on Amazon reviews at the time. I love it, and I recommend it if that's the kind of camera you're looking for.

May 27, 2012 at 10:13 PM  
Blogger bree said...

Good idea about a camera. I love my PowerShot SD1300 is. It is a joy to use and my first.
You can look at the kind of pics it takes on my little blog.

http://web.me.com/patricia_wilson/Goin_To_The_Country/Blog/Blog.html

May 27, 2012 at 11:04 PM  
OpenID domesteading said...

I always wanted to do horse SCA events when I was in junior high and high school. Much more inspiring than 4H. I hope you get to take Merlin to the Adirondacks in June!

May 27, 2012 at 11:08 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Jenna- I have a Nikon coolpix 14.2 megapixels that is about 1 1/2 years old. I put it in my purse without the camera bag and something in my purse must have rubbed up against the camera shutter and now it won't open or close correctly but I have a feeling that someone with a toothpick and a little patience could fix it in a few minutes. You can have it if you want it....I went back to a Sony cybershot so I don't need this one and it's just fine other than the shutter issue.

May 28, 2012 at 12:52 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Hi Jenna- I tried to post before but had trouble so forgive me if this posts twice! I have a Nikon coolpix 14.2 megapixel camera that I put in my purse without the bag and now the shutter won't open or close correctly. I have a feeling that someone with a toothpick and a little patience could probably get the shutter back to normal. Other than that it's a great camera and I don't need it- I went back to a Sony cybershot. Let me know if you want it and I can mail it to you.

May 28, 2012 at 12:58 AM  
Blogger daisy said...

That sounds like a motivating weekend. Pure bliss...

I have a Canon Sureshot that takes great pix. I will never buy any other kind of camera. I'm not trading, just recommending...

May 28, 2012 at 5:29 AM  
Blogger bree said...

I forgot to say that my camera is a Canon PowerShot 1300. It's a small digital and I really like it. My husband gave it to me for Christmas in 2010 and I've used it almost daily since. Be sure to get a camera with a recharable battery :)

May 28, 2012 at 8:25 AM  
Blogger RamblinHome said...

I have a Canon PowerShot A580, 8.0 mega pixels w/ a 4x optical zoom & will take video that can be yours for the low low price of absolutely nothing! Its just a little handheld thing but the pictures don't suck. Its about 5 or 6 yrs old, comes w/ a case and a 32 meg card. I just upgraded to a Canon Rebel w/ detachable tlephoto zoom lense. Love it!! Pop me off an email if you're interested: Pipertml (at) gmail (dot) com.

May 28, 2012 at 6:57 PM  
Blogger Harmony said...

SCA's sound like so much fun! I've used a recurve and a compound bow but have yet to use a longbow. If you are still in need of a camera, I have a Kodak Easyshare V570 Dual Lens that I haven't used in awhile. I would rather see it put to good use by someone else then let it sit. I've owned it for about 6 years but it's still considered a high end camera and works great! It doesn't have any issues. 5mp, 5x optical zoom, video, easy to use and I'll even throw in a 2GB SD card. It's small enough to fit in a pocket and very user friendly!

May 29, 2012 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger greendria said...

I love your first few sentences here - true, we've always been story-tellers.

May 29, 2012 at 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home