Friday, May 11, 2012

so starts the work

It's Friday morning and the farm is alive. The goat's been milked and the dogs have been fed and walked. Right now a half gallon of fresh milk is chilling in an ice bath in the sink and tonight after evening milking I'll make cheese from the day's full gallon plus. In a bit I'll go outside and see to all the birds and rabbits, sheep and Jasper. No sign of the turkey's since they wandered back into the woods last night, but I'm not worried. They spent a week here at the house, where water and feed flowed. They are fairly easy to herd where you want them to go.

When chores are done I'll get changed out of kilt and sweater into breeches and half chaps. Friday is our lesson day down at Riding Right, and by "we" I don't just mean Merlin and I. Patty and Steele have their lesson right after mine so always spend the morning with our horses, learning and working on our dressage tests for Sunday's show. We always stop at Central House in Salem afterwards, Patty's long horse trailer right out front with Steele waiting patiently while we enjoy our salads and paninis. It's become a happy ritual.

Merlin will be back here at the Farm by my birthday in July. Brett and Patty and Mark are certain we can get a proper horse paddock ready for him by then. Since the land is cleared and the wood hauled out it is more a matter of slapping together a quick run in shed, some fences, and gates. It'll happen. I know it will.

I'm excited about the interest in the Fiddle Camp! So far three are signed up and a few more emailing interested. I'll start designing t-shirts and we can all vote on the winner here.

Okay! I need to get off this old computer and head outside. So starts the work!

P.S. Ryan Gosling healed up great!

photo by jon katz

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I'm so happy about Ryan! I don't know why but he just makes me feel happy with his beautiful proud self.

May 11, 2012 at 8:20 AM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

Ah, the ebb and flow of daily farm life. Glad to hear Ryan is doing well, I'd been wondering about him.

May 11, 2012 at 8:28 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Happy, happy, happy Friday to you and all your furry and feathered friends! Glad to hear young Ryan is doing well... have fun with Merlin & enjoy the day (hope it's as pretty a day there as it is here)!

May 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM  
Blogger Lara said...

Was wondering about Ryan, very good! Fiddle camp sounds awesome. Not very good yet with my fiddle playing, but you were the inspiration. I'm having fun with it and know a day will come when I sound halfway decent.

May 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM  
OpenID kindsofhoney said...

Jenna, I just have to commend you for your active determination. You're a few weeks younger than I am yet so far ahead of me (though, I'm working towards my goals . . . including, maybe, meat rabbits and a goat in the next few weeks!) and I think one of the clear reasons why you are where you are is because you get down and DO. You work hard and find the joy and pleasure in between the work. So cheers to you!

May 12, 2012 at 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home