Tuesday, May 8, 2012

rainy morning updates

Another morning of milking a goat in the rain. Not anywhere near as bad as it sounds. The rain was more of a mist, gentle and making your clothes cling to you. I like this kind of dampness, where precipitation and perspiration mix. On a long day outside it can grow weary, but this morning a hot shower and a steaming bowl of oatmeal were month a half hour away. It is easy to sing through chores, wet and smelling like goat, if those promises are kept.

The rain grew harder but Jasper and the sheep (and their three lambs) weren't deterred from their morning meal. They are eating what's left of winter hay while the pastures heal and grow. Four days of rain means a lot of new green. I welcome it.

Yesterday while walking Jazz and Annie on our slow mile jaunt, I told Jazz about all your well wishes. He has trouble on the walk sometimes so we go slow. Allowing him time to throw up if he has too, walk at his pace. We stop at the stream and he and Annie adore wading through it, lapping up water, feeling cold stones on their heavy paws. As we were just leaving the stream and heading home I saw the green Tacoma I know so well rolling up the mountain. It was Othniel and his son, ShimShoan. They had a lawn mower in the back bed. Othniel said out the window, "We heard your mower was broken! We've come to mow your lawn!" and I beamed. I knew the rain was coming and four days would mean knee-high grass. I was trying to keep up with it with my reel mower, but its old and needs sharpening, so this was a blessing. I walked the dogs home and ordered Jay's Pizzeria's largest pie with extra cheese for us. They weren't leaving hungry.

So the lawn looks beautiful, Jazz is still plugging along, and the lambs are well. Goats get milked, even in a downpour and the new turkeys are making themselves right at home. One is for me and my Thanksgiving Dinner here at the farm and the other I bought for Jon and Maria. They'll pay me to raise it and have it harvested for their own table. I'm proud and honored to do it.

I have been practicing with Merlin. I'm excited and nervous about this Sunday's show. Anyone who wants to come and watch is welcome, we ride at 9:30 on the dot and Patty and Steele ride right after at 9:36. Come up to South Cambridge and enjoy a day of pretty horses and jittery people. The weather will be divine.

14 Comments:

Blogger erussell said...

Maybe you should look for some electronet instead of a new mower and give the goats a front-yard treat weekly?

May 8, 2012 at 9:54 AM  
Anonymous gooddogboy.mark@gmail.com said...

I am so sorry about Jazz. It is hard seeing your pups slow down. I lost my oldest pup last December and it was hard. I am sure you will keep him as happy and comfortable as you can in his last days. Good Luck.

May 8, 2012 at 10:07 AM  
Blogger Kelpie and Collie said...

Sounds good Jenna. This rain is so welcome! Good luck this weekend!

May 8, 2012 at 10:13 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

Blogger hiccup so I don't know if my comment made it. If this is a dup, just delete.

I would get two more reel mowers and connect them a steel bar or light, straight log. Hook this to the whiffletree and then to Jasper. You could mow your lawn, practice driving Jasper, and exercise Jasper all at once. You'll have to do the tight places by hand, but you should be able to get most of the grass.

May 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM  
Anonymous Pooh Overalls said...

Glad to hear you're having a better day today. Sometimes life just gets too suffocating and it takes a nice rainy day to wash it all away. A cool breeze is always refreshing.

Hang in there and keep pushing forward! You're an inspiration to all of us who are still dreaming of a life on our own terms.

May 8, 2012 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger Louis said...

Don't you have a flock of lawn mowers?

May 8, 2012 at 1:20 PM  
Blogger marilyn said...

Keeping you and Jazz in my prayers.

May 8, 2012 at 3:46 PM  
Blogger Meredith A said...

with a herd of sheep and goats its hard to believe you need to mow at all! i agree with erussell, why not get some electric fencing?

May 8, 2012 at 5:00 PM  
Blogger DarcC said...

Good luck to Patty and Steele too!

May 8, 2012 at 5:54 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Stoltzfus said...

Great idea CJ. Some of the Amish around here have contraptions like that, except they also have a seat for themselves - sort of like a horse-powered riding mower. Very cool.

May 8, 2012 at 6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't live without my electronet. I just moved the sheep onto the lawn around my house yesterday and in a couple of days it will look like a putting green. If you get the solar panel it's totally maintenance free--and it keeps my goats in too--I even occasionally use it to fence in my cows!

May 8, 2012 at 6:59 PM  
Blogger Lorie Hyten, adult services said...

Good luck Sunday. Some jitters are good. I've been told you lose about one third of your training the minute you leave home (nerves, distractions etc., for both you and the horse) so don't let mistakes or low marks get you down. On the other hand, you may end up stars of the day! Either way, hope you have fun!

May 8, 2012 at 11:51 PM  
Blogger kwdiving said...

I can not even imagine living in a community where people just show up to help when help is needed. Do you realize how lucky you are? I would give almost anything to be a part of a community like that. Count your blessings. Wishing you a calm spirit on Sunday. Enjoy how far you have come.

May 9, 2012 at 6:46 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

How exciting! Good luck on Sunday!

May 9, 2012 at 9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home