Sunday, May 20, 2012

onward to archer

Archery practice today. I had my first ever series of Royal Rounds this time. Royal Rounds are official marksmanship tests hosted by the SCA. There's a 20, 30, and 40 yard 6-arrow target shoot and then a timed 30-second firestorm where you shoot as many as you can to scramble for points. My scores were...um, beginner level. But I am really enjoying getting to know my longbow, the goose feather arrows, and the culture and tools of the archer.

If I complete two more rounds, on two separate days, I will be recorded in the SCA records as a bonefide Archer of Record. I'll be awards a hand-forged, metal medal with a pair of black arrows crossed over a circle to show others I'm a student and beginner archer at Society events. As my skill increases, so will my status. It's a fun way to work towards something. And something as useful as archery is welcome around here. For hunting and recreation, it'll be nothing I regret.

Onward to Archer, is how my Sunday ends.

12 Comments:

Blogger Sacha Joy said...

You're like a bustling medieval village reincarnated into the strong body of a 21st century woman. Seriously, we're the same age and all, but you fill your days with so much living, I feel you must have decades of experience on me already.

May 20, 2012 at 9:02 PM  
Blogger PattyW said...

Is there archery from a galloping steed?

May 20, 2012 at 9:19 PM  
Blogger artinthegardenstudio said...

Archery?!!! Is there anything you can't do, girl? You are amazing! :)

May 20, 2012 at 10:10 PM  
Blogger artinthegardenstudio said...

Archery?!!! Is there anything you can't do, girl? You are amazing! :)

May 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Yes, there are equestrian events! War Camp up in Warrensburg has horse events. This weekend is an archery event near Albany I want to go to Saturday to work towards my scores this season.

http://warsoftheroses.clanyoung.info/

there is the event info, lots of classes, workshops, studies, dance lessons and martial activities!

May 21, 2012 at 6:21 AM  
Blogger Meredith A said...

do you still plan on working/training gibson at some point?

May 21, 2012 at 9:28 AM  
Blogger Meredith A said...

do you still plan on working/training gibson at some point?

May 21, 2012 at 9:28 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Gibson trains and works every day.

May 21, 2012 at 9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should check out on youtube---2012 Tennesee Classic. This was shot at Twin Oaks Bow Club Clarksville Tenn. This is a great bow club where they will show you how to make your own bow. A great meeting of wonderful people. Beth in Ky.

May 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger Tina - Our Rustic Roots said...

Glad you're enjoying archery so much. It is absolutely something that will come in VERY handy for you. :)

May 21, 2012 at 12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenna -- I keep seeing people saying that they wish they lived closer, so they could attend one of your workshops.

Also, you have said you want Cold Antler to teach people about sustainability.

And you are interested in hand crafts and historical culture.

Are you aware of the following:

http://www.greatamericancraftsmen.org/workshops/classes.htm

and

http://www.yestermorrow.org/

Both are within a couple of hours of Jackson.

Maybe you could schedule a workshop before or after something at one of these places, so people could attend both, and make the trip more cost-effective?

(of course, they'd have to take more vacation time as well...)

Thanks, Joan

May 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Lol@Sacha... Perfect description! I would love to learn archery, as I've trained with guns... But guns are the easy way- and more, well, unnatural. Only prob is I have very tiny hands and I wonder if this would hinder me?

May 21, 2012 at 8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home