Saturday, May 26, 2012

a day at war

I spent the day with 300 people who care more about what makes them happy than what other people think is silly. I shot a longbow next to marksmen so talented that people parted ways to let them through, reputation as strong as Moses's hands. I spent the day with men in kilts, women in long dresses (or armor), and watching craftsmen work with blacksmith's bellows and Damascus steel. I saw embroidery, and children without electronics listening to stories. I saw dogs running and playing around toddlers and barefoot companions by burning campfires where food roasted and turned. I was hot and I didn't care. I was sunburnt and it felt like blessing. And I tied for my best score ever out there on the archery range and shot enough deer targets to fill my imaginary meat freezer with enough venisons to feed a clan.

Life in the current middle ages is pretty great. And my next big event is War Camp in Warrensburg, NY. A day where equestrians will be out and I'll be damned if I won't be up there with Merlin and a jousting spear in my shaking hands one fine day.

Don't let anyone tell you not to do what makes you shine.

17 Comments:

Blogger Kaye said...

You are so brave. My heroine!

May 26, 2012 at 9:46 PM  
Blogger Kaye said...

Yeah for you. You are so brave! My heroine.

May 26, 2012 at 9:47 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Good job, Jenna!

I can hardly wait for the Highland Games I'll be attending next weekend.

May 26, 2012 at 10:08 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Oh Jenna. You've single handedly made me miss the SCA so much. I've been debating on whether to get back into it - it seems like such a challenge with three kids. But...I think we will! I miss it!

May 26, 2012 at 11:12 PM  
Blogger City Girl said...

Sounds like fun, Jenna! Have you chosen a medieval name yet?

Diana

May 26, 2012 at 11:15 PM  
Blogger Desert Willow said...

I couldn't agree more! It's FUN! My best customers are in the SCA, they are enthusiastic and passionate about what they do, not silly in the least :) I love the fiber arts of the time period....my personal passion. Merlin will look fantastic at an event, he reminds me of a fairytale........ now that would be fun.

May 26, 2012 at 11:17 PM  
Blogger Ngo Family Farm said...

Brilliant!
-Jaime

May 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM  
Anonymous cowgirl said...

Jenna, You are awesome to do this!!

In 1974 (yes a long time ago), I jousted a little bit. What a rush. And it's not that difficult really.

Then I started cross-country, then I played polo....but I actually did joust. And I would like to do it again. hmmmm I don't have a Fell pony or a nice Irish Draught...just a TB. sigh.

May 27, 2012 at 12:31 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

I like the sound of that, people who do what makes them happy and not worrying if others think they are silly.
Sounded like a great outing.

May 27, 2012 at 1:05 AM  
Blogger auntgrandma said...

What a great way to spend a day. Blessed are you!

May 27, 2012 at 1:18 AM  
Blogger kwdiving said...

A sounds like a blast, Jenna! Wish we were there! Shine on!

May 27, 2012 at 5:52 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

cowgirl! its mostly people's riding horses (a LOT of cowponies!) at these events. Merlin will be a rarity, look at the SCA equetrian events page and you'll see people's haflingers, quarterhorses, TBs, warmbloods, and shetland ponies!

http://www.eastkingdom.org/equestrian/photos_video/default.htm

May 27, 2012 at 6:31 AM  
Blogger Sassafrass said...

Hey there finally figured out how to do this! Was @ your plan B and must say girl, awesome to meet you and be among friends!! LOVE THE ARCHERY!! You have single handedly opened up a whole new world!! Just so you know :)

May 27, 2012 at 10:58 AM  
Blogger Sassafrass said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

May 27, 2012 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger rabbit said...

My boss jousts Jenna! Google chivalric productions!

May 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM  
Blogger Vermonster said...

OMG! You've joined the SCA! Well, I guess it was just a matter of time.

May 28, 2012 at 8:26 AM  
Blogger Vermonster said...

OMG! You've joined the SCA. Well, I guess it was just a matter of time.

May 28, 2012 at 8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home