Saturday, April 14, 2012

You win some...

Shearing Day turned out to be a bust when it came to the wool, but a boom when it came to the wood! We got Sal sheared, but it was an uphill battle the whole road. Since my used sheep clippers literally started smoking after a few minutes of use, we switched to hand shears and dog clippers instead. It took two people an hour (with several people holding him down - turns out he's a kicker) just to get one sheep done. It was hilarious, messy, stuborn work. Tim was there and took some photos as well, and I'll look forward to sharing them.

Well folks, looks like I'll be hiring the shearer this year after all. It's just too much time without the right tools. Jim McRae charges eight dollars a sheep and does an amazing job. I spent 2 hours and needed six people to save eight dollars. There's frugality and then there's just being dumb. I will let the pros take this on, and learn from them the proper way to do it with the right tools next year...Oh well. You win some, and you lose some. I lost the shearing game, but did we ever pony up after lunch!

After the shearing of Sal was completed, we had a big kitchen potluck. And when that work was all done we decided to move pile of fallen logs Brett had cut down for the new horse pasture. Using a bit of pony power, we teamed up and used a POA-sized stone boat to haul a cord of rounds out of the forest and into the splitting pile. More photos of Jasper to follow!

11 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

Ah, poor Sal, a guinea-pig of a sheep. That's what you get for being such a nice guy, Sal.

Kudos to Jasper and his pulling prowess. Not just another mouth to feed, are ya? Looking forward to the photos!

April 14, 2012 at 6:38 PM  
Blogger JulieG said...

First time I'm glad I'm not a sheep! he he

April 14, 2012 at 7:08 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Poor Sal! I hope he got an extra special treat for being the guinea pig of the day. :)

April 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

$8 a sheep-that's a steal. Love Jasper...he earned his oats today!

April 14, 2012 at 8:25 PM  
Blogger karental said...

How many people does it take...

Thanks for giving me another smile today. Poor ol' Sal.

April 14, 2012 at 8:34 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Kinda looks like he's break-dancin in these pics *smile*- ah well, at least you guys had fun and got some other stuff done! Looks like it was a beautiful day there weather-wise too. Cheers~

April 14, 2012 at 8:43 PM  
Blogger PattyW said...

Great day!

April 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM  
Blogger Weez said...

Yay, Sal and Jasper. Sorry I missed the fun.

We had a sheep named Agnes when I was a kid. Every spring our dog Sherlock would snarl, bark and growl at all comers at her bundle of sheared wool. He was a Bassett Hound protecting his sheep.

Thanks Sal and everyone at CAF today for bringing back fond memories from childhood.

April 14, 2012 at 11:36 PM  
Blogger daisy said...

I love how the universe has provided exactly the right people around you, Jenna. What an adventure!

April 15, 2012 at 6:29 AM  
Blogger kimberlesk said...

LOL -- sounds like me when I tried to groom my own Bichons. It's so worth the extra money to get them professionally groomed. Each dog went through a blade on a single grooming. And the blades cost upwards of $30 a piece! Better off spending $50-$60 per dog and have someone with the right equipment do it!

April 16, 2012 at 3:35 PM  
Anonymous Liz said...

There is also a shearer who lives in Cambridge... Shearing properly for good quality fleeces/roving/yarn is absolutely an art that requires a lot of skill and strength. Cornell offers a course each February or March, too, if you're looking for more instruction. I have no intention of ever shearing my entire flock (not willing to risk my fleeces w/second cuts) but I think it'd be a valuable skill to have :) good luck w/ shearing day part 2!

April 22, 2012 at 3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home