Sunday, April 1, 2012

This house is chicken free for 72 hours!

I just moved the twenty young Freedom Ranger chicks out to their big cousin's straw bale barn. The big ones still sleep in there, but mostly it is empty while the Rangers, well, range. It is nice, having a house without poultry for a while. I love chickens—I can't imagine a home without them—but it is nice to let them become part of the outdoor farm chores and share the big birds water and space. They still get the right feed for their quickly growing bodies, but besides the heat and feed they are regular ol' farm birds like everyone else. No more indoor pampering. You grow up quick around here, kids.

But there is no rest for the wicked, as 45 new laying hen chicks will be in the mail later this week. The brooder will get fired up in no time. But at least now I have a few days to clean it, bleach it out, and refill it with clean pine shavings and feeders.

There are also six healthy Silver Fox cross kits in Big Momma's Pen, which is what I started calling my best breeding doe. A doe that was born at the old cabin in Vermont and was brought here to Jackson in her kindling nest. She grew up, started having kits 8 months later, and has bred the healthiest litters in the group.

Easter is next weekend and this farm is pretty darn well suited up. Chicks, bunnies, if I only had some lambs. And you know what? I might just. There are some pretty low hanging udders out there under the Scotties wool. I don't know if they are all pregnant, but some may be. That would be a grand thing, and would make me feel a lot better about the whole Atlas debacle.

Here's hoping!

5 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

Fingers and toes crossed for lambs!

April 1, 2012 at 11:06 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Thanks!!

April 2, 2012 at 3:34 AM  
Blogger Kelpie and Collie said...

Just remember this year to keep Sal away from your breeding ram.

April 2, 2012 at 6:32 AM  
Blogger Patty said...

What was the chicken mission?!!
Seriously, because of your blog, I am contemplating raising meat birds next year. I just need to find a processor here in Central Texas. Thanks for your work and blog.

April 3, 2012 at 12:02 AM  
Blogger Tina - Our Rustic Roots said...

Hope they're preggo!

April 5, 2012 at 1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home