Friday, April 27, 2012

snow on peonies

Snow was falling outside amongst the peony stalks while I finished up the day's chores. What a sight to behold, that. The gently falling snow through the afternoon sunlight, landing on the red shoots that look like a celery stalk left in a Bloody Mary too long. The snow fall did not last long, but it was a good reminder of what the weather forecast called for. They are calling for a night in the mid-twenties and that is a dangerous game Mother Nature is playing with us. Many of the apple trees have blossoms, and if they die to a late-spring frost it will hurt the apple harvest. It will hurt farmers who put in their greens early, egged on by 90 degree days in April and our mild winter. If the frost kills my kitchen garden I can shrug it off and plant new, but this isn't so if you're one of the hundreds of farmers in the north east tonight scrambling to cover your plants with row cloths. The greenhouse at Common Sense Farm has a running guard of people who need to stoke the woodstove all night. There are tomato plants with green fruits already on them there. They will surely die if the fire dies too. This is how I see the weather now, as chapters in the annual story. The protagonist and the villain. Part of me worries the twins will be born and lost to the cold. They are hardier than tomato plants, but I still fret. If the peonies die I lose some pink and white color in May. If the lambs die I lose the future.

16 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

We had to replace tomato plants that froze on a 34-degree night when they were covered. That and a 50% germination rate has taught me a lesson about baiting Mother Nature! Here's hoping your sturdy stock can brush off whatever they are born into.

April 27, 2012 at 8:49 PM  
Blogger sco_oter said...

Our peonies have already bloomed and withering. The weather is like a yoyo here. One day I'm outside in a tank top mulching and the next day sitting by the fireplace.

April 27, 2012 at 9:22 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Hoping those babies stay put a day or so longer until your weather warms up.

It's funny how once a person starts growing food and tending livestock, their view of the weather changes. I used to go for days and never check the forcast, now I check several times a day!

April 27, 2012 at 9:26 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Never trust an early spring!

April 27, 2012 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Never trust an early spring!

April 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM  
Anonymous Heidi said...

I just returned from stumbling around with my headlamp covering up peony stalks. Before I went inside, I looked up at the Cheshire Cat grin in the sky and said, "Yeah Mother Nature, I get that you are the boss and all, but can you please take it easy on the farmers?" ;) I trust she'll look out for your (her) lambs tonight...

April 27, 2012 at 9:41 PM  
Blogger Mare said...

I'm praying for your babies....and putting on a sweater inside the house tonight!

April 27, 2012 at 9:50 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

While I'm sympathetic about the farmers and also the apple blossoms, anyone who has toms out already is just tempting fate.

April 27, 2012 at 9:51 PM  
Blogger Megan, Rudy's mom said...

In CT we have a freeze warning. I'm starting my first garden so I brought in all my baby plants even the snap peas and the greens who have been out over night now for about a week and my worm bin. Good thing I didn't put anything in the ground on Wed like I had wanted to. Its so windy I would be worried the row covers would blow off during the night.

April 27, 2012 at 10:11 PM  
Blogger Megan, Rudy's mom said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 27, 2012 at 10:11 PM  
Blogger Megan, Rudy's mom said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Wow and I have the attic fan running because it got quite warm in the house tonight. Hope everything goes all right for all of you in Veryork.

April 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

It's been the same here in Middle TN. Much of my garden has been out for a month, and then of course we had several frost filled nights in a row. I lost some beans and squash, but nothing major. It was a little more worrying with the chickens, their first nights in the coop were rather cold for any time of year here.

But it is Spring indeed. We rescued a mama cat with six kittens yesterday. According to the adoption folks, the mild winter doesn't necessarily mean more litter, but the litters tend to be larger. I'll be adding daily snuggles with a pile of kittens to my daily chores. Something I certainly don't dread having to do... they must be socialized. ;)

Good luck with the twins and the garden!

April 27, 2012 at 11:43 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

How did they all do? We're getting another few nights like this before Winter lets go. I'm hoping my little dwarf pear trees that already blossomed made it through.

April 28, 2012 at 6:45 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Thanks for the reminder! We were out to dinner tonight and I hadn't checked the forecast. After reading your post, I got out of bed and went down to the porch to bring in our tomato plant and 3 blueberry shrubs. They spent a safe, warm night in the pantry!

April 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM  
Blogger Helena said...

I don't know if you've ever read James Herriot's books, but he talks about the lambing season in Yorkshire and how he attended countless births up on frigid hills, and mama and babies were fine. So take heart!

April 28, 2012 at 3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home