Sunday, April 1, 2012

let freedom (rangers!) ring


Blogger Flartus said...

"Chicken mission!" Hilarious. Thanks for the vid; you have a full yard! Six pounds is enormous. No wonder they're eating you out of house and home.

April 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Those Freedom Rangers look delicious!!!!

April 1, 2012 at 3:17 PM  
Blogger Odie Langley said...

They are beautiful Jenna.

April 1, 2012 at 5:05 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

hoping to start taking them in Tuesday, gotta call Ben Shaw tomorrow!

April 1, 2012 at 6:07 PM  
OpenID destinationisjourney said...

I've been doing some reading on chicken meat, and it seems that the "average consumer" prefers the tender meat of the Cornish Cross. Obviously these guys grew huge fast! Do you know if the meat will be more like a heritage bird? I'm excited to find out!


April 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Yes, Cornish Crosses are a customer favorite. This breed was developed to grow as fast, and taste just as tender, but be able to grow their legs as fast as their big breasts and thighs, so they can still walk normal.

My Cornish Crosses always did well free ranging, they developed okay legs. But these guys did far better as a free-range bird. In tractors, Cornishes may be better.

April 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM  
Blogger Paulette said...

You are convincing me that I could really grow chickens to EAT! It would be a huge step for me, someone who was raised on Disney cartoons, and The Little Red Hen.

April 1, 2012 at 9:23 PM  
Blogger Sue Sullivan said...

Freedom rangers have been on my chicken radar for a while. I'm in Colorado, and the only hatchery I've heard about that raises them is in PA, so I'd have to find friends to go in on a large mail order. We have a suburban backyard, with much of it put to fruit and vegetable growing. I don't know if I could "pasture" freedom rangers the way they want to on the remaining 25x40 foot section of our yard that isn't in beds. I have seeded out clover and winter rye into what's left of our lawn there, with an eye to chicken tractoring, and plan to plant out a bed or two of chicken greens in that area.
Did your birds eat any scratch or were they entirely focused on finding their own food?

April 2, 2012 at 10:47 AM  
Blogger The Village Queen said...

That was funny, I loved them all off on to their own interst up the hill, something said food! Did you figure out what made them all run up there? I think they are all so healthy and fat cause you took such good care of them. Enjoy all the upcoming meals!

April 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home