Friday, April 6, 2012

it's fancy time, people

I have no idea what kind of chicken that is. It's one of Tamine's crazy cross breeds from his jungle fowl stock. That hen with the blue face and white feathers sure is a looker. It's fancy time, people. Look at that bird and treat yourself to something nice. She would.

I can't rest the night before a workshop. I'm so excited. I baked a giant cast-iron pan of apple pie from New York's finest, and a braided egg bread with butter and sugar crust the size of a basket ball. Tomorrow is all about chickens here at Cold Antler. The meals are chicken (eggy breakfast of bread, quiche, and pie) and a lunch of chicken tacos. There are 45 little chicks awaiting their future homes in the brooder and a houseful of new chicken owners coming to meet them. Jazz and Annie will camp out in the bedroom upstairs. They "like" chicken.

By like I mean eat.

12 Comments:

Blogger Misty said...

I would think that's a silkie cross. The poofie feathers on it's head, the blue face, those are silkie traits. I've had some similar to it in the past. Silkies also have five toes.

April 6, 2012 at 11:54 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I want to be there :( Have fun & eat lots of "chickeny" things for me if you'd please!

April 7, 2012 at 12:49 AM  
Blogger Flartus said...

Lol...we knew what you meant by "like." :D This sounds like a wonderful workshop. Hope it's as fun as it sounds!

April 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM  
Blogger shepherdess said...

how do you keep your chickens safe from Jazz and Annie? I see the chickens free ranging all over the yard. Are J & A not allowed to free range? I'm about to get my first chickens and am worried about my dog.

April 7, 2012 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger shepherdess said...

ps it's not the border collie in my photo i'm concerned about-- my other mixed breed dog who's got a serious prey drive.

April 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Wish I were there, I love a CAF workshop but I'm getting tons done in my little corner of the world.

April 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM  
Blogger ChickenCrazy said...

Wish I could be there!!! Have lots of fun :)

April 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM  
Blogger becky3086 said...

Definitely a silkie cross as it has the black skin and partial crest.

April 7, 2012 at 3:27 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

My sibes are never outside off leash, ever. They just aren't that kind of dog. Gibson has never bothered chickens, its about their prey drive, and how they are raised/trained around them.

April 7, 2012 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Looks like an Araucana to me. I was given six chicks recently and they now look very similar to this

April 7, 2012 at 5:58 PM  
Blogger DarcC said...

Happy Easter! I'm about to enjoy a delicious nutritious breakfast of scramble eggs from the hens I got at your very first chicken workshop!

April 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth from the Berkshires said...

Here's a glimpse of our new flock, courtesy of yesterday's workshop: http://reachingfornonsense.wordpress.com/2012/04/08/meet-the-girls/
It was a great time. Thanks, Jenna!

April 8, 2012 at 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home